Comcast rumored to be trying to acquire NBC from GE

October 1, 2009

(ChattahBox) — Rumors are flowing that cable giant Comcast Corp. is interested in buying NBC Universal, from General Electric.  Comcast, the nation’s largest cable operator with almost 25 million subscribers, owns a number of networks, such as E! Entertainment, G4, MLB Network, and The Golf Channel, and partially owns MGM Studios and its subsidiary studio United Artists. Still it has been looking to increase its content holdings for several years, including a failed bid for movie studio, Walt Disney, in 2004. In NBC, Universal it would get its hands on not only a big broadcast network  including NBC, USA, Bravo, MSNBC, CNBC, and Syfy and Universal Studios movie studio, but also several powerful cable channels, including USA, Syfy, CNBC, MSNBC and Bravo. NBC is jointly owned by GE and the French media conglomerate Vivendi, with GE owning 80 percent and Vivendi controlling the remaining 20 percent.  A spokesman for Comcast  issued a statement to DealBook late on Wednesday denying it had a deal to buy NBC Universal, which doesn’t preclude they might still be negotiating.  According to Businessweek sources at least one other bidder may have emerged since Comcast stepped up the talks on Tuesday.


Comments

Got something to say? **Please Note** - Comments may be edited for clarity or obscenity, and all comments are published at the discretion of ChattahBox.com - Comments are the opinions of the individuals leaving them, and not of ChattahBox.com or its partners. - Please do not spam or submit comments that use copyright materials, hearsay or are based on reports where the supposed fact or quote is not a matter of public knowledge are also not permitted.