Man Sets House On Fire With Blowtorch

December 24, 2008

Massachusetts (ChattahBox) – A man who was attempting to melt ice that ran along his back porch set his house on fire Monday night, causing $30,000 worth of damage, and causing him to become the butt of jokes around the US.

The man had been attempting to melt snow around his property with a blow torch linked to a 20 pound propane tank, when he accidentally caught the wood frame of the building and caused a large fire to rush up to the second and third stories.  He had sprung into action after his 80-year-old mother nearly fell on the ice-covered steps of his home’s back porch.  His intentions were good of course, his plan of action though a bit questionable given most would use a shovel or sand or salt.

The man identified as 52-year-old construction worker from Portugal who has lived in the home for 24 years, tried to put out the flames himself. After the fire climbed up the siding, he and his son used wet towels to try to beat back the flames.

They didn’t succeed and everyone in the building’s four apartments was related. Some were going to remain, while others will stay with relatives elsewhere. No one was injured, and the homeowner will not be charged with the arson. The family said they had insurance to cover the damage.  That will be an interesting claim!


Comments

Got something to say? **Please Note** - Comments may be edited for clarity or obscenity, and all comments are published at the discretion of ChattahBox.com - Comments are the opinions of the individuals leaving them, and not of ChattahBox.com or its partners. - Please do not spam or submit comments that use copyright materials, hearsay or are based on reports where the supposed fact or quote is not a matter of public knowledge are also not permitted.