Woman Glued Eye Shut with Nail Glue – Mistaking it for Eye Drops

April 3, 2009

(ChattahBox)– A strange story from the Telegraph this morning, a British woman mistakenly reached for a bottle of liquid fingernail glue thinking it was eyedrops, and glued her eye shut for eight hours. Twenty-nine year old Paula Griffin, went to the emergency room, where astonished doctors finally resorted to cutting off her eyelashes to re-open her eye.

Griffin said the two bottles, kept in her medicine cabinet were identical in appearance, and she reached for the nail glue bottle when she stumbled out of bed, half asleep and without her glasses. She will now store the nail glue in another location.

Doctors say she was lucky she didn’t sustain serious eye damage. The fact that she averted her eye in time, after she felt a burning sensation, may have saved her eyesight, said the doctors at Poole Hospital in Dorset.

The fair-haired Griffin is now recovering from the incident, with both eyes open, but is concerned people might think she is a “dumb blonde.”


Comments

Got something to say? **Please Note** - Comments may be edited for clarity or obscenity, and all comments are published at the discretion of ChattahBox.com - Comments are the opinions of the individuals leaving them, and not of ChattahBox.com or its partners. - Please do not spam or submit comments that use copyright materials, hearsay or are based on reports where the supposed fact or quote is not a matter of public knowledge are also not permitted.