President Obama Tells David Letterman: I Was Black Before the Election

September 22, 2009

Watch CBS Videos Online

(ChattahBox) — During the interview with President Obama, David Letterman asked him about Jimmy Carter’s comments that recent criticism of his health care reform efforts has been grounded in racism, President Obama quipped, “I think it’s important to realize that I was actually black before the election.”

The comment, which the president made in an afternoon taping of CBS’ “The Late Show,” promoted laughter from the audience and this response from host David Letterman: “How long have you been a black man?”

The president reportedly did get a chance to beserious and after talking about health care, Letterman quiped, “Your job is more difficult than my job, that’s what I learned here tonight.”

Before President Obama came on stage to the taping of the “Late Show” on Monday, host David Letterman had offered up 10 reasons why in the world the president had agreed to do it.

10. Heard the lady with the heart shaped potato was gonna be here. (a reference to a woman in the audience).

9. Thought it would be fun to watch someone else get heckled. 8. Something to do with that whole cash for clunkers deal.

7. Every president since Teddy Roosevelt has done it.

6. Someone offers you 600 bucks you take it ladies and gentlemen.

5. We told him Megan Fox would be here.

4. Needed some time to hang out before check in time at his hotel.

3. I have no idea.

2. Said yes, without thinking, like Bush did with Iraq.

1. Wanted to congratulate Dave on the big Emmy win.

Comments

6 Responses to “President Obama Tells David Letterman: I Was Black Before the Election”

1. Anna Langella on September 22nd, 2009 10:04 am

20 years ago, he could be funny. Now he is just pathetic. Old and tired.

2. Ronk on September 22nd, 2009 11:58 am

Thank you for taking the times to speak with us Mr. President.

I think you’re doing a pretty good job considering what you’ve been left with and with all of the obstacles in your way.

Keep up the good work. I know you’re doing this for us even if others don’t see it that way.

3. jake hartfield on September 22nd, 2009 1:45 pm

You guys are haters and you continue to talk crap about this guy and he hasn’t been In the office a year yet. All of you racist bastards need to find a solution to your miserable lives I mean come on. You want a republican to screw you over more and drive this country into a whole, Obama didn’t start the war Bush did so he can get fat on his oil dividends get with it people, Bush killed your nieces, nephews, Husbands, Cousins, Boyfriends and baby’s daddy’s Obama had nothing to do with that is it because he’s black YES ignorant people that’s why when God returns all you are going to burn crispy fried chicken style.

4. Letterman (or Obama) Fans: “I was actually black before the election” « The Scene on September 22nd, 2009 6:39 pm

[…] -Chattahbox […]

5. fingerprint door lock on September 22nd, 2009 7:54 pm

Whether you like him or not, he has a huge mess to clean up. I also think he is doing a decent job considering what he was left with. You can’t fix everything overnight.

6. Constant Gina on September 23rd, 2009 4:44 pm

wow…Obama has to be one of the most actve presidents have seen in a long time…he is EVERYWHERE!!