Sarah Palin: In Politics, Nothing Is Stranger Than This

November 21, 2010

WireImage

(ChattahBoxOp/Ed) – It’s beyond obvious that Sarah Palin is not going away in any way, shape of form, and despite whatever frame you use, political, TV commentator, TV show star, Mom, author, etc., it’s clear that the Republican Party has a problem that cannot be solved by logic, truth or strategy, and for now anyway, it is a GOP problem but could turn into America’s problem.While some in the Republican Party are thrilled that Lisa Murkowski, the Alaskan Senator who will win reelection to her Senate seat as a write in candidate after losing her primary to a Tea Party/Palin backed Joe Miller, they are facing two problems there.  First, the GOP, trying to play the game the way it is supposed to be played by insiders had asked Murkowski not to run as a write in candidate, but were secretly thrilled that she did and as she is about to celebrate her victory as only the second write in winner for the Senate in 50 years.  It looks like Murkowski’s victory is a slap to Palin and the Tea Party, and a victory for the Republican Party who does not like Sarah Palin at all. But Sarah Palin will not be harmed by this as pundits are suggesting, again defying logic.

We can blame John McCain, but I don’t believe even he realized what he was creating when he stupidly offered Palin the national spotlight, but no matter how it happened, the Palin Problem is here and the first tier of dealing with her is a Republican problem, for now anyway.

We find ourselves analyzing a half-term Governor who quit her job because the financial reality of quitting was very attractive to her.  There was something about her that was new, refreshing, and different.  What many of us saw was more odd, weird and scary, to keep it simple, but that’s where this all gets a bit Twilight Zone for me.  Cue the music because we find that a great many conservatives in this country are kneeling at the Palin alter even though she has proven to be a quitter, a continual liar, someone who understands shock value and is proud to utilize it, is a master media manipulator, and at the heart of it all an opportunist who is getting richer by the day for creating a new found sense of hatred and has perfected a delivery method that transcends reality, just defying logic and it’s just straight out unexplainable.

And it is clear that traditional Republicans don’t like her at all.  Karl Rove, a Republican master political operative, has made it clear she has not only doesn’t have the intelligence to be presidential, but her ideas are too extreme even for him.  Former First Lady Barbara Bush, who has never been at a loss for words, was clear in a CNN interview taped to be aired this weekend that Palin would do well to stay in Alaska.  Most serious contenders from the GOP who are now considering a run for the White House in 2012 don’t even want to discuss her, and most telling of all, the most visible supporters of the Tea Party rarely mention Palin as they are trying to grow that movement.  Yet here she is, about to have a second book in less than one year become a best seller, Her A&E show, Sarah Palin’s Alaska, a mammoth ratings hit, and her speaking fees now easily in the high five figures and there isn’t one serious Republican who supports her agenda or her potential run for the White House.

So what gives?

She is an anomaly.  Even her daughter Bristol’s unlikely stamina on the popular television show Dancing With The Stars has become the fodder of political Blogs because her Mom obviously has coattails that reach beyond the political arena.

Sarah Palin has proven time and time again since the 2008 election that she is not smart enough on foreign policy.  That her stance on domestic policy is mostly focused on message and not content.  That she has become a master at turning a phrase that resonates with less educated voters, and to top it all off, her wealth is being created by the same people who are being harmed by policies and protests against that would help them most. Is it simply because she is smoking hot to look at?  I didn’t really want to write that, but it makes one wonder, doesn’t it?

I mean I know pretty women get away with a lot, they really do.  And she is pretty after all.  Maybe it’s harder for some people to be outwardly honest about her because they harbor some kind of fantasy that I don’t want to write about.  Maybe for women she represents what they wish they were.  She is bold, I will give her that.  She sounds confident, I will give her that.  She does have a sense of humor, I will give her that even if I don’t find her sense of humor in line with mine, but all things considered, I cannot explain her at all.  Can you?

Right now she is a GOP problem and this will be one of the few issues I am more than willing to help them on if I can.  After all it’s clear they don’t want to deal with her in the political arena, and recent polling proves that the majority of traditional (read non radical) Republicans are not Palin fans, but she has that uncanny knack of doing the unexpected and it’s not the Republican Party that she has to appeal to, it’s voters.

My hope is that she loves the money and attention and that she will realize that she can become wealthier by not being a candidate for anything.  I’m hopeful that her obvious greed will continue to drive her to become a kind of pretty Ann Counter, if you will, but I’m not afraid to admit that this broad scares me.

If she has proven one thing it’s that the normal rules of politics don’t apply to her.  Most any other time in the history of the country she would have been a Trivia Pursuit question by now but she somehow lifted herself above all of the normal stuff to become the poster child for Right Wing hatred and lies, and she’s selling it better than anyone would have ever predicted.  I want to write that strangers things in politics have happened, but she actually is the strangest thing in politics that has ever happened, here’s to hoping it stops soon or else.

Tony Trupiano is a former national syndicated progressive radio talk show host, author, and a former candidate for Congress. He is also a nationally recognized media trainer.  He can be reached at tony@mediatony.com and can read his Blog at www.mediatraining.me.

Comments

10 Responses to “Sarah Palin: In Politics, Nothing Is Stranger Than This”

1. Larry Clement on November 21st, 2010 12:07 pm

Tony,

Your fascination for Sarah Palin is exactly the point. The media has played right into her hands. Obviously if the media wasn’t so caught up with her, then she would actually be just a “Trivia Question” by now.

I’m sure that I can’t predict what will happen in the future but I do know that most Americans don’t like her. The ones who do, really, really do, but that isn’t going to put her into the White House. She very well likely could win the GOP nomination in 2012, even if the GOP doesn’t want her to. Then it’ll come down to her and Barack, and if I can make any predictions, things are going to be looking allot better as far as our economy goes then and young people are going to pour out to the polls much better than they did earlier this month.

I also think eventually, Americans and especially the media will get over their infatuation with Sarah Palin. Even though I think she’ll still be around and have sway with a certain minority in our country; that being mostly The Tea Party crowd, who will also lose popularity once the nation figures out what they really are about.

If my predictions are wrong and she becomes our next president; I’m going to see just how far I can get away from this country before she sinks it like the Titanic.

2. disgusted. on November 21st, 2010 12:11 pm

She is a nut case. Sad sad sad. We couldn’t get more insane than this. But if the TParty rigged Dancing with the Stars for her obese untalented daughter, who’s ta say they vote will not be rigged for Hitler Palin in 2012?

3. cjh on November 21st, 2010 12:35 pm

Love the hatred of Palin here. Haha. I don’t know that she is qualified to be president (she probably isn’t)… But why she is loved by some is obvious, she is about as far from traditional Washington as one could possibly be. The author here (and many others) claim that she is basically a stupid hick. Fine if that is your view. But who put us in the position this country is in today? Certainly not Palin. I would argue it is Wall Street insiders, government entitlement programs and those same Republican “elites” that hate her so.. If the economy turn around, nobody beats Obama in 2 years.. If we’re still is this state… anything is possible and maybe for enough folks business as usual just won’t cut it anymore.

4. MWB on November 21st, 2010 12:41 pm

I find it interesting that Tony doesn’t “get it” as to Palin’s appeal to voters (the common public). Palin has little to no “insider” appeal or beltway “street fighting” experience. She is willing to swim upstream against political systems and perceived pundits. She maintains a consistent conservative view on deficit spending, big government, and national defense. I’m not a Palin fan, but I can see why her values appeal to the public. Even if Palin were not to be a candidate for the 2012 campaign, she has surfaced the identity of many Americans who are sick of politics and concerned about the direction of the country. This is not rocket science. I simply wonder why Tony doesn’t get that. And his deprecating insinuation that her kudos from the silly public are simply about her being a pretty “broad” or his unsupported accusations of her “greedy” motives only highlights his lack of focus and insight. I had to chuckle at the editorial warning for those opining: “…Please do not spam or submit comments that use copyright materials, hearsay or are based on reports where the supposed fact or quote is not a matter of public knowledge are also not permitted.” Apart from the confused syntax, the message seems clear – avoid suppositions, here-say, etc. Did you get that part, Tony?

5. Trupiano on November 21st, 2010 1:12 pm

MWB, I DO get it, what I don’t get is why OTHERS don’t see what I do. Is she a hick from the sticks, nope, but I know enough to know with great certainty that I do not want her leading my country and those that will vote for her WILL be hicks from the sticks. I’m confused by her NOT enthralled in any way. And, by the way, Obama is an outsider, but we keep forgetting that as well. Onward to watch my beloved Lions lose again today!

6. Sarah Palin: In Politics, Nothing Is Stranger Than This - ChattahBox | Dla ciekawskich on November 21st, 2010 1:32 pm

[…] post by steaksyl and software by Elliott Back No Comments […]

7. Linda Rader on November 21st, 2010 1:43 pm

Palin is popular because she is popular. She represents a lot of people. The mass of people actually and to redicule her is to redicule the majority of americans. That majority is tired of being rediculed by those who would be the elite and support one of their own. She scares the elite and that pleases the majority who are tired of being treated poorly in politics and culture. The fact that she isn’t “you, Tony” is why she is popular with the majority. She is a “refudiation” of the progressives. That’s why you don’t like her and why the majority does.

8. Deb Hart on November 21st, 2010 2:11 pm

Hi Linda Radner,
    When did you start thinking that Sarah Palin is popular with the majority of american citizens? I’m assuming that you mean by “majority” the majority of american citiznes.
    All the polls I’ve read, past and present, indicate that she is not.

9. Larry Clement on November 21st, 2010 4:08 pm

I kind of like what Lawrence O’Donnell likes to say; You have a right to your own opinion, but not your own set of facts.

I’m a little taken back that Linda Rader actually thinks Palin is popular. I suppose if you call being popular amongst mostly far right wing bigots popular, then I suppose so.
    As far as being elite; most of the Tea Party crowd are people of a higher income bracket than the average citizen. Who else can afford to run around the country screaming to be heard over everyone else? Those who don’t have to work mostly.

It also surprises me to hear someone from the Right who always supports tax cuts for wealthy people, calling those on the left elite. Excuse me; maybe my definition of elite is different from theirs. Personally I work very hard for my money and no one from the Right is looking out for my rights. The want to cut my Social Security and make me even work longer in my life and then hand over 700 billion dollars in the next 10 years to a bunch of “Elites” at the top of the economic chain.

Sarah Palin is an opportunist. She saw her chance to get rich by pushing the buttons of a bunch of extreme Right wingers who couldn’t stand the thought that a black man had finally made it to the White House; “I want my country back!” (Bawl! Bawl!)That is pathetic if you ask me.

I think there needs to be another type of Tea Party; this one from the Left because we’re getting tired of a bunch of Republican Elites handing all the money to the top two percent of Americans and leaving the rest of us just trying to hold on for dear life.

I know Linda that you probably get most of your news from Fox which means you really don’t get the news, so you really should check your facts first.

10. MWB on November 22nd, 2010 10:21 pm

Hey, Tony. Though we may not agree on political perspective, we probably share the same support of the Lions – and the same hand-wringing frustration in countless fourth quarters. Our saying growing up around the Thanksgiving table was “Let’s go watch the Lions…lose!”

By the way – I’m not convinced that all Palin supporters are anti-intellectual obscurantists.