Brain-Eating Amoeba Takes Life Of 9-Year Old California Boy

August 7, 2008

A 9-year old boy from Riverside County, California has unfortunately lost his life to a very rare disorder, as he died from the a brain-eating parasite known as amoeba....Los Angeles (ChattahBox) – A 9-year old boy from Riverside County, California has unfortunately lost his life to a very rare disorder, as he died from the a brain-eating parasite known as amoeba.

According to reports, the 9-year old boy was infected with the deadly amoeba parasite while going for a swim Lake Elsinore, as he apparently ingested it.

The Riverside County Department of Public Heath has come out and stated that the type of amoeba parasite which infected the boy is known as Naegleria fowleri, and is the first case ever to be confirmed in Riverside County, California.

The amoeba parasite is common in fresh water, as well as other types of water, but cases are very rare.

In the last decade, there have only been 33 human cases across the entire U.S. The parasite eats away at the brain tissue of an infected person.

Symptoms associated with the amoeba parasite include stiff neck, nausea, fever, headaches, etc.

The amoeba parasite is commonly found in fresh water, as well as hot springs.


Comments

Got something to say? **Please Note** - Comments may be edited for clarity or obscenity, and all comments are published at the discretion of ChattahBox.com - Comments are the opinions of the individuals leaving them, and not of ChattahBox.com or its partners. - Please do not spam or submit comments that use copyright materials, hearsay or are based on reports where the supposed fact or quote is not a matter of public knowledge are also not permitted.