Fat Stem Cell Treatment: Dramatic Results in MS Patients

April 24, 2009

(ChattahBox)—Researchers from the University of California San Diego, have promising news for the estimated 350,000 people in the U.S. suffering from multiple sclerosis, a devastating autoimmune disease that tends to strike young women in the prime of their lives. Researchers treated three MS patients with injections of stem cells from their own fatty tissue, producing amazing improvements, providing the patients with a new lease on life. One patient was even able to resume jogging and bicycling!

Dr. Boris Minev from the University of California together with Thomas Ichim, from Medistem Inc., extracted non-expanded stromal vascular fraction or SVF cells, from the patient’s fatty cells known as adipose tissue. Adipose tissue is actually the storage site for our fat. Previous research has shown that stem cells from adipose tissue holds great promise for the treatment of autoimmune diseases like MS, because of its anti-inflammatory and regenerative properties.

Besides effective, the use of adipose tissue has been proven safe, long used in cosmetic procedures.

Of the three MS patients treated with the SVF cells, all three reported dramatic improvement in balance, coordination, gait and a reduction in seizures. One patient, continued to show great improvement in his gait to such an extent, he was able to return to jogging and bicycling.

Researchers say existing treatments are ineffective in halting immune attacks against the nervous system, and don’t stimulate and regenerate damaged tissue, like the SVF treatment seems to do.

Although their study was small, researchers have great hope for the safe and easy SVF treatment, and plan to expand clinical studies of the treatment on a larger pool of MS patients. The entire study is available at the BioMed Central’s open access Journal of Translational Medicine.

Source

Comments

9 Responses to “Fat Stem Cell Treatment: Dramatic Results in MS Patients”

1. Lora Lynne Perrin on April 24th, 2009 3:59 pm

I have primary progressive MS, diagnosed 5-08. I am 62 years old. I live in MO. Is there a place in stem study for my type of MS?

2. Michael Costa on April 25th, 2009 12:57 pm

I have chronic progressive MS. I am interested in knowing if there is somewhere I can go to be considered for a stem cell study I live in Florida but will travel anywhere required. Diagnosed in 1979. I am 70 years old.

3. Fat Stem Cell Treatment: Dramatic Results in MS Patients | ChattahBox News Blog | Life Sciences Blog on April 26th, 2009 12:11 am

[…] Lynne Perrinon April 24th, 2009 3:59 pm I have primary progressive MS, diagnosed 5-08….Read the Full Story VN:F [1.2.0_562]please […]

4. KAREN WINKLER on May 7th, 2009 12:21 pm

i have progressive ms I have been on copaxone, rebiff and tysabri none worked but they were thinking of putting me on chemo but now decided to try the rebiff again which I dred because my arms and legs and all the other part of my body can’t take the shjots any more, plus I’m a diabetic sodouble the shots. Any how I was writing to you to see if you have any type of stem cell trials that would be open I live in Michigan but can ravel any where Thank you in advance Karen winkler

5. Barbara Pattie on May 11th, 2009 3:46 pm

I have the same question. Does stem cell treatment help primary progressive ms ?

6. Linda McCullough on May 14th, 2009 8:23 pm

I have PPMS. I live in Canada but would travel anywhere to receive some sort of stem cell treatment.

7. GERARD MARK FORD on June 25th, 2009 2:16 am

My wife, Becky, suffers from PPMS. Diagnosed about 5 years ago at age 49. She takes Copaxone shots daily along with spasticity, pain and fluid pills. She also takes something to help her stay awake. Her doctor is a neuro specialist and travels conducting seminars on MS and Becky thinks the world of him. He is hesitant to allow her to try alternative treatments. However with PPMS time is of the essence. Becky is losing use of her legs and has gained weight i.e., now up to 280 pounds. I have quit my job to become her primary caregiver. We live with my daughter and her family. My son-in-law is in the Army and last week was sent to Afganistan for a year.
    I have high hopes in Stem Cell research. I’m hopeful that time won’t run out on Becky. We can travel anywhere should she be selected for a clinical trial in Stem Cell treatments. Please advise as to your thoughts.

8. beate caterina Knops on July 15th, 2009 8:26 am

I have the same question Karen Winkler had 7th of may 2009. I am 43 years old ..and i live in Germany–had tried a lot and nothing with real sucsess
    Do you work zogether with someone in Europe–or Germany ??

Maybe its possible to give me a connectet adress or email

thanks a lot for all

wish you all the best

yours Beate caterina

9. DEBBIE LAIRD on December 16th, 2010 3:53 pm

I AM 43 YEARS OLD WAS DIAGNOSED IN MARCH, 2010 WITH PPMS I AM NOW IN A WHEELCHAIR. I HAVE BEEN READING ABOUT STEM CELLS HELPING. I LIVE IN BIMINGHAM, ALABAMA WHERE CAN I GO THAT STEM CELL RESEARCH IS AVAILABLE? I AM WILL.ING TO GO ANYWHERE AND DO ANYTHING TO WALK AGAIN. PLEASE HELP ME!