Gates Foundation Rescues Innovative Health Research Projects

May 5, 2009

(ChattahBox)—The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the largest philanthropic foundation in the world, is the financial savior of many little known health research studies that would never get underway, were it not for the $2.8 billion awarded last year to all sorts of worthy projects around the globe, including medical research, education, poverty and hunger. Out of that $2.8 billion, the Gates foundation awarded 81 grants of $100,000 to fund promising, but unconventional health research.

Some of the more unconventional funded research studies include projects to develop an anti-viral tomato, a flu-resistant chicken and a magnet that can detect malaria. Each grant can be renewed for five years and if the project is successful, the researcher may apply for an additional $1 million grant.

More than 3,000 researchers submitted proposals for the coveted financial grants, with scientists chosen from such disciplines, as neurobiology, immunology and polymer science.

Researchers from the U.S. receiving the grants, include Eric Lam at Rutgers University, New Jersey who is working on a plan to possibly use tomatoes as an antiviral drug delivery system and Thomas Baker at Pennsylvania State University, who is working on a method to block the smell of malaria-carrying mosquitoes with a fungal infection, preventing the insects from seeking out sources of blood and curbing infection.

An exciting study underway by researchers from the Royal Holloway University in London, is cataloguing all possible mutations of HIV, as a precursor to developing an AIDS vaccine.

Without the funding from the Gates foundation, none of these 81 innovative research projects would be possible. Perhaps the next cure for a deadly disease will result from the philanthropic good deeds of Bill and Melinda Gates.

Source

Comments

2 Responses to “Gates Foundation Rescues Innovative Health Research Projects”

1. » National Student Journalism Awards Holbrook Mann MacNeille on May 6th, 2009 6:50 pm

[…] Gates Foundation Rescues Innovative Health Research Projects … […]

2. shenandoah Blog » Blog Archive » SRI International: SRI International Receives $100,000 Grand Challenges Explorations Grant for Innovative Global Health … on May 9th, 2009 10:16 am

Got something to say? **Please Note** - Comments may be edited for clarity or obscenity, and all comments are published at the discretion of ChattahBox.com - Comments are the opinions of the individuals leaving them, and not of ChattahBox.com or its partners. - Please do not spam or submit comments that use copyright materials, hearsay or are based on reports where the supposed fact or quote is not a matter of public knowledge are also not permitted.