Study Shows Salamaders Are Disappearing, And Fast

February 10, 2009

Central American (ChattahBox) – A new study has shown that the number of salamanders in Central America are drastically decreasing, leaving biologists unable to explain why.

This wouldn’t be the first amphibian to begin dropping off the map. Frogs have been dying off for years, their decreasing numbers blamed on a fungus (chytrid) that shifts through water. However, it does not appear to be that simple, in the case of the salamanders.

“We have no evidence that either chytrid or climate change is responsible for the declines,” David Wake, of UCLA Berkeley, said in his report.

But if neither theories are responsible, what is? Whatever is causing the sudden disappearance of these tiny lizards, something has to be done, and done fast. Certain regions, where you used to see salamanders constantly skittering around the land, now see little, or even none.

But even if there is no proof, Wake was still clear about the implications of climate change, and how they could further increase the problem. He was also adamant about the need to do something about it.

“We need to promote activities that reduce the impact of climate change.”

Comments

10 Responses to “Study Shows Salamaders Are Disappearing, And Fast”

1. Lizzie on August 27th, 2009 7:28 pm

why dont people take of our earth?It is said that all those animals die because
    people r littering and it is just so sad.If you think the same thing send me an email.

2. Rosemary Lordan on November 3rd, 2009 6:50 am

We found a black and yellow salamander when we moved a railway sleeper yesterday. We are in Brittany in France.

3. tanya on May 10th, 2010 11:07 am

My daughter was given a black and yellow salamander a man had found in Detroit Maine where we went to pick up a horse. She is going to take it to her classroom before letting it go at our house.

4. John Switzer on July 31st, 2010 3:33 am

I found a salamander crawling in my garage tonight during a heavy rain storm. we live 100 meters from jim creek, we have released water dogs in to this creek during winter.

5. Casch Doyle on September 21st, 2010 11:13 am

My grandfather found a yellow and black salamander outside his back door dead on the cement. We had never seen one around here before. I am taking it to school for science class. I am sad they are becoming instinct. I wonder where it came from. I live in a small town in Mo.

6. Jeffrey Benson on October 19th, 2010 10:07 am

We have found two Salamanders Black with Yellow spots in dissued stream in our olive grove in Lake Garda Itlay
    They are about 8 inches long and are beautiful

7. yannet on November 12th, 2010 7:34 pm

well i have seen atleast 10 black an yellow salamanders around here were i work an from wat ive heard there has been lots more seen around our work area im sure there a nest some were around there because they keep on comin out

8. ali on November 29th, 2010 7:27 pm

it is so heart breaking,hearing about all these salamanders dying. my freind macy and i caught 1 @ the river. we kept it for a day, then put him back.

9. ali on November 29th, 2010 7:28 pm

salamanders r cool

10. mark goss on November 29th, 2010 10:41 pm

I was blessed to see 4 black and yellow salamanders in a crawl space I was inspecting today in Conway Mo.