Planets Will Collide in 5 Billion Years, Says New Study

June 11, 2009

France (ChattahBox) – Two French scientists have gone old school science, using mathematical formulas to predict the path of the universe, and it’s going to be a violent one.

According to Jacques Laskar and Mickael Gastineau, an astronomer and computer engineer respectively at the Paris Observatory, in approximately 5 billion years the universe will go out the way it came in…with a big bang.

The odds show that Mercury, Earth, Mars, and Venus will remain in place until that time, but then begin to move towards each other, finally crashing into each other in a violent collision that could signal the end of the solar system. At least as we know it.

“With 99 percent certainty, we can rely on the clockwork of the celestial rhythm – but with the remaining 1 percent, we are afforded a vicarious thrill of danger,”Gregory Laughlin, a professor at UC Santa Cruz who wrote a commentary to accompany the findings, was quoted as saying in SF Gate.

The study has been published in the scientific journal Nature.


Comments

One Response to “Planets Will Collide in 5 Billion Years, Says New Study”

  1. A. Farmer on August 21st, 2009 5:53 pm

    The universe and the solar system are not the same thing. The universe will continue to exist, relativly undisturbed, when our solar system dies, which it ineveitably will when the sun burns out and goes nova.

Got something to say? **Please Note** - Comments may be edited for clarity or obscenity, and all comments are published at the discretion of ChattahBox.com - Comments are the opinions of the individuals leaving them, and not of ChattahBox.com or its partners. - Please do not spam or submit comments that use copyright materials, hearsay or are based on reports where the supposed fact or quote is not a matter of public knowledge are also not permitted.