Florida Pharmacy Says Oops, Sorry: Admits Botching Polo Ponies’ Vitamin Supplement

April 23, 2009

(ChattahBox)—Franck’s Pharmacy of Ocala, Florida made a statement today, taking blame for the tragic and sudden deaths of 21 polo horses before a Polo Championship match on Sunday in South Florida. The pharmacy incorrectly mixed a medication ordered by a veterinarian for the horses, saying the “the strength of an ingredient in the medication was incorrect.” The pharmacy’s CEO, Jennifer Beckett offered sincere condolences to the horses’ owners.

Three hours after being administered the supplements, 21 horses stumbled and dropped dead on the grounds of the Palm Beach polo club to the horror of spectators. The horses that weren’t treated with the botched supplement remain healthy, said the Lechuza’s team captain, Juan Martin Nero.

All 21 dead horses belonged to the Venezuelan-based Lechuza Caracas team. The horses were valued at up to $100,000 each.

A statement released by the Lechuza team said the veterinarian wrote a prescription for a Biodyl substitute containing vitamin B, potassium, magnesium and selenium. Apparently, Franck’s Pharmacy made a deadly error when it compounded the various ingredients into one supplement.

The supplement, Biodyl is a veterinary nutritional supplement produced by the French Merial Company and is not approved for use in the United States.

Despite the suspected vitamin supplements causing the horses’ deaths, state investigators conducting the toxicology tests and necropsies on the horses still have unanswered questions. Necropsies on the dead horses found massive internal hemorrhaging, but that doesn’t explain the severe respiratory distress suffered by the horses right before they died. The toxicology results should be available at the end of the week.

Meanwhile, the U.S. Open Polo Championship had a memorial ceremony on Thursday for the deceased horses before the day’s matches.

Source


Comments

One Response to “Florida Pharmacy Says Oops, Sorry: Admits Botching Polo Ponies’ Vitamin Supplement”

  1. Polo Ponies Died From Selenium Overdose | ChattahBox News Blog on April 28th, 2009 9:33 pm

    […] came from a deadly injection of vitamins, prepared by a local compounding pharmacy. The Pharmacy, Franck‚Äôs Pharmacy of Ocala, Florida, admitted last week it incorrectly mixed the horses’ vitamin […]

Got something to say? **Please Note** - Comments may be edited for clarity or obscenity, and all comments are published at the discretion of ChattahBox.com - Comments are the opinions of the individuals leaving them, and not of ChattahBox.com or its partners. - Please do not spam or submit comments that use copyright materials, hearsay or are based on reports where the supposed fact or quote is not a matter of public knowledge are also not permitted.