Brett Favre returning to NFL with the Vikings to spite Packers?

May 4, 2009

(ChattahBox) — Wise money says that Brett Favre who retired again in February, from the NY Jets may end up playing for the Minnesota Vikings this season. Originally when Favre retired from the Jets they refused his request to release him. But the Jets traded up to get QB Mark Sanchez in the draft last weekend and three days later, the Jets released Favre. Favre, who will be 40 in October, appears intent on keeping his options open or else why bother pushing for the release?

Meanwhile the Vikings just might be a quarterback short of being a Super Bowl contender, and play in the same division with Brett’s old team the Green Bay Packers. Speculation was Favre wanted to be traded to the Vikings last year and now with his release, assuming the Vikings are willing the table is set. The Vikings current QB’s Sage Rosenfels and Tarvaris Jackson don’t exactly garner confidence in making a championship run so they just might be willing.  Meanwhile Favre gets an opportunity for a better ending to his career after he ran out of gas with the Jets, while sticking it to the Packers at the same time.  It seems likely the stage is set.

Via: NY Daily News

Comments

26 Responses to “Brett Favre returning to NFL with the Vikings to spite Packers?”

1. cliff on May 4th, 2009 9:00 am

no more of these f&@king stories! im beginning to hate farve and i liked him as a QB

2. Rich Wilcox on May 4th, 2009 9:45 am

I’ve been a Packers Fan my whole life and I will be very disappointed if Brett Farve goes to the Vikes. Farve was an icon in Green Bay and if he would have ran for Govenor he probably would have won. They name a street after him in Green Bay. I was going to go to The Pro Football Hall of Fame for his induction as a Packer but now I think I will save the money and stay home. I hope every Packer fan will do the same. I hope the Packers new 3-4 defense takes it to him next year and plants him on his back several times.

3. Charlie on May 4th, 2009 10:25 am

Maybe Favre just can’t deal with the fact that he’s been a mediocre QB at best for the last 6-7 years. Hang it up, Brett. Your glory days are behind you. Your prime talent is spent. All these pathetic attempts to go out on a high note will just ensure that people will start to forget whatever “high notes” you ever had in the first place.

4. Leo on May 4th, 2009 11:02 am

Favre was one of the “all time greats” but he keeps pushing to show us that he is that player who will play until he greatness is just a foot noe it the history books. Brett we really don’t want to see you have that career ending injury. However maybe that is what Favre is waiting for …. I was hoping he would have given up dueling windmills however Don Quiote never gave up and he was thought to be a crazy old man… well Favre, stop punishing the Fans who have supported you.
    otherwise Thompson is just going to be your windmill

5. paul miller on May 4th, 2009 12:48 pm

Will this cancer please go away!!!!!!! This interception throwing ass hol has held the league and Packers hostage for 3 years now. I cannot take another Brett Favre farewell tour. How many times must we say good buy to the ego maniac?? The only consolation here is that Madden will not be around to suck his ass this year so he will have no fan club leader.

6. When Will Brett Favre Get Out Of My Life? : LinkedOnSports.com on May 4th, 2009 1:01 pm

[…] -Brett Favre returning to NFL with the Vikings to spite Packers? [ChattahBox] Share and Enjoy: […]

7. Mike on May 4th, 2009 1:27 pm

Brett favre is an upgrade over all of the vikes qbs combined. Were waiting for u Brett!! Skoal Vikings !!!!!

8. Creek on May 4th, 2009 5:02 pm

After Brett Favre wins a couple of games for Minnesota, especially against the Pack. Viking fans will hail Favre and love him to death!
    Go Brett Favre.
    Also if the guy still wants to play and the Vikings feel that he can then I say why not!

9. Vince Brooks on May 4th, 2009 11:04 pm

Always been a Packer fan until Ted Thompson screwed Favre. I hope he does return as a Viking. And I hope they destroy the Packers as a final justice for what they did to him.

10. Justin Weishaar on May 5th, 2009 1:45 pm

being a life time vikes fan has seen glory and death, I look at this Farve story and i WANT to see him sign with the vikes, my BRAIN, tells me Farve has thrown his last pass. Last year was the same thing, the only reason packers didn’t just release him like the jets did is due to the terror of seeing him in the purple. Farve has to want to play again before any of this can go down, if he doesn’t have the energy of his old days, he is not Farve,

Farve come and sign a deal with the vikes, but only if you want to play man.

if the vikes do get farve, it will be a division championship repeat, at least.

11. Jim Karen on May 5th, 2009 5:09 pm

If he signs with the Vikings, I will instantly be a Viking fan!! I have always hated the Vikings, being a Packers fan. But like Brett, I it proven that the Packers (Thompson and McCarthy ) were idiots to let this hall of fame type player go ! Either way, McCarthy and Thompsons days are numbered. Fans in Green Bay killed Dan Devines Dogs in the early 70’s ,, that was just for being a bad team. This would be an even worse story . Better start packing your bags boys if he signs !!

12. fan on May 5th, 2009 6:24 pm

i just want to say that i am a huge packer fan and probably one of the biggest brett favre fans ever. when the packer refused brett and he chose to play with the jets it was definitely heart breaking and very hard to see happen. i understand his want to play, i mean the man lives and breaths football but he has got to stop toying with us and saying he is retiring when he’s not..as for the vikings..if he was to play for them, it would be the ultimate stab in the back and as big of a fan as i am, i would lose a lot of respect for brett favre

13. Julia on May 5th, 2009 8:12 pm

Screw you Brett Favre…I have spent my entire life growing up watching you play every Sunday in my living room…I have looked up to you, my brother has looked up to and my father nearly worshiped you…How could you do this to all the people of Green Bay and Wisconsin who have treated you like king shit all these years. Who cares if there’s some jerks in the Packers agency, grow up and get over it. All the Green Bay Packer fans don’t deserve this and you shouldn’t be trying to do this just to get ‘revenge.’ We were obviously completely wrong about you for all those years so go on and keep being a big dick…It’s just making you look extremely bad and is making everyone hate you and lose a lot of respect for you.

14. Packer Brat on May 6th, 2009 3:48 am

Why do you MOST of you make such hateful comments This man is a football legend and he JUSTwants to play football as long as HE can.

Is that so wrong.

LET HIM BE. What he gave the fans of Green Bay is more than most of us
    would do in ten lifetimes.

Be happy for him! I myself was a lifetime PACKER FAN, and no more.

Stick it to TED, Brett that is what I say.

15. You Can Do IT on May 6th, 2009 1:46 pm

I’ll be a huge Viking fan, for the first time, if he signs wth them. I think it’s great he wants to keep going. If he can’t do it, he’ll be the first to sit out. I hope he signs with them and knocks everyones socks off, especially the Packer’s.

16. jerry on May 6th, 2009 8:38 pm

Bret has given a lot to the sport of football, I have been a Packer Fan for ever, and I still hope they do good, but I wish Farve would have been brought back to finish his career at Green Bay. I think Ted should retire. If Ted thought Farve was washed up why did Ted stipulate that he could not play in our division. I think Ted wanted to show he is in charge, and Farve is just another player. I hope Farve does good and Ted has to eat crow, and maybe retire. That would make my day.

17. Gerry Plank on May 6th, 2009 10:41 pm

I hope Favre becomes a Viking. He deserves to wear the uniform of a hated team. Favre has become pathetic. He has destroyed his legacy. He has allowed his pettiness to rule his life. The Vikings will take this guy. I wouldn’t. Who in their right mind would take a QB who has one thing on his mind and that is vengeance on Green Bay and it’s innocent fans. The Packers will play a little harder against this guy and will not hold back the hits. Woodson will have a pick holiday. Go get ‘m Pack and dump his sorry attitude all over Lambeau. Remember Brett that there are 32 teams in the NFL and you have ticked off fans for two of them. In another 30 years you will have done all the rest. Where will you play after that? Canada?

18. J.D. Kirkman on May 8th, 2009 9:28 am

Brett Favre is guilty of being the greatest quarterback that ever played the game. No one has ever accused him of being a businessman, politician, or a good negotiator. The mishandling the Packers organization (Ted Thompson) regarding the Favre issue is unforgivable. Favre’s a Primadonna? Maybe! Worthy of being called the best? Absolutely! Until the fans get a place at the table… my heros, your heros, and anyone who comes to blows with league brass will be subjected to the same B.S.! Support the guy, to hell with the league. I am still a Packer Fan, a Favre Fan, and have a love of the game… in spite of this league. Should be an interesting game Vikes vs Pack! Wow!

19. paul miller on May 8th, 2009 1:54 pm

JD KIRKMAN You MORON! The greatest QB to ever play the game??????? You pin head he is one of the worst. You are going to put him on the same plateau as Joe Montana or Elway,or Steve Young or even Manning?? Are you high?? He has been mediocre at best in his early years and HORRID the last 5. Thank goodness for Viking fans he did not sign. Im certain his ego will surface again and he will start this crap somewhere else. I heard there is a wheel chair league in the pipeline

20. J.D. Kirkman on May 16th, 2009 1:30 pm

All I’m saying is the Packers organization fired THE STATISTICAL LEADER (fact) of all quarterbacks that have EVER played the game, coming off the 2ND best season (fact) he ever had! Get your facts straight. What kind of MORON defends that kind of logic? I’ll bet the Packers organization lost hundreds of millions in sales, etc. If I were in charge, and it was my team he flushed down the toilet, Thompson would face a firing squad!

21. tweezles on June 10th, 2009 9:27 pm

if he does it and signs with the vikes i will no longer be a packer fan and become a depressed raider fan. i promise im already trading my favre jersey for a tim brown one. : (

22. cindee on August 19th, 2009 7:15 pm

ITS A GAME PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! iF BRET FAVRE THINKS HE CAN PLAY ANOTHER YEAR GOOD FOR HIM. hOW SAD WOULD IT BE FOR ALL THESE VIKING PEOPLE THAT ARE AGAINST HIM FOR COMING TO MN IF HE ONCE AGAIN LEAD A TEAM TO THE SUPERBOWL. aND FOR ALL YOU PACKER FANS WHICH i AM A HUGE FAN OF , WERE YOU ALL P-OFFED WHEN BRET FAVRE TOOK THE PACKERS TO THE SUPERBOWL AND WON!!!!!! i GIVE HIM CREDIT FOR STILL WANTING TO PLAY, FOR SURE HE DOES NOT NEED THE MONEY. HE HAS A PASSION FOR THE GAME. AND SO WHAT IF HE CHANGED HIS MIND WE ALL HAVE THAT RIGHT. i’D WANT TO MAKE SURE MY BODY AND HEALTH WAS UP TO IT BEFORE I GOT BACK INTO A SPORT LIKE FOOTBALL. AND IF THOSE THAT REALLY THINK THEY NEED TO BURN THEIR #4 SHIRTS GO AHEAD. YOU BIG BABIES!!!1 YOUR ONLY BURNING UP MONEY YOU SPENT ON THEM, AND SHOWING ALL JUST HOW CHILDESS YOU SO CALLED FANS ARE. . I SAY GO FOR IT BRET FAVRE AND GOOD LUCK ! YOU ARE AND STILL A BIG FAN OF FOOTBALL TO ME NO MATTER WHICH TEAM YOU PLAY FOR. NO BETTER QUARTERBACK THEN YOU AND YOU HAVE THE RECORDS TO PROVE IT NO MATTER WHAT TEAM.

23. gerard on August 19th, 2009 10:55 pm

to paul miller. I guess it is true that you CAN NOT FIX STUPID as you have proven by your statements . I have been a vikings fan for 40 + years and always feared Bret Farve. The reason for this is because he is one of the best quarterbacks in NFL history and definetly was a threat to my team. I love the FACT that he is a VIKING and that he is giving the vikings a better chance to get to the BIG GAME then they would have had without him, not only with his FACT PROVEN ability, but his LEADERSHIP will not hurt either

24. Anne on September 28th, 2009 7:33 am

I’m a Favre & a Packers fan, and I love to see exciting football games, even if Favre is a Viking now. I would ask readers to consider the timeline of Favre’s history of hesitations/retirement/unretirement. All of it started after Ted Thompson became GM and cold-shouldered Favre and the existing team. As GM that’s his privilege, but Thompson’s personal style is the opposite of Green Bay’s usual close-knit tone between players & management. A bit of interest in players as human beings (the whole Packers team) would have helped the whole situation immensely…but it’s a business.

25. JD Kirkman on October 19th, 2009 12:05 pm

It’s hard to watch Favre beat the Packers. Hard, but dam entertaining. I couldn’t help myself watching the Packers lose to the Vikings. My wife kicked me out, she said I was to loud so I watched the game at the local pub. It was about 2 to 1 Packers Fans to Vikings and EVERYONE cheered when Favre made a play. The Jurassic Fans were the only ones that remained pissy. Everyone seemed happy with the game. Rodgers played well (could’ve got rid of some of those faster and not got sacked 1000 times). Favre had to win it for the Vikes cause Peterson was under Packers control. I was waiting for Thompson to shoot himself, maybe during the Nov. 1st game!?! Wow… 6-0, never saw that coming…

26. JD Kirkman on November 8th, 2009 4:30 pm

to Paul Miller: Stick it up your $#^%##! Dumb^$$. How do you like me now??