Blacklisted Word List Shows Google’s Sometimes Bizarre Attempt at Censorship
September 28, 2010
(ChattahBox Technology News) – Google Instant is all sorts of fun. But one thing that is entertaining (and time consuming) is finding out what words they won’t auto-suggest. Luckily, 2600 had too much time on their hands and created a comprehensive list for us.
There are a lot of words that made it onto the list, so many that it would be crazy to try and post them all here. But some of them are:
- Futanari (Japanese word for ‘hermaphrodite’, which is not blacklisted)
- Gay Dog (but not ‘gay dogs’)
- Gay Men (but not ‘Gay Men’s Chorus’)
- Get My Sister (but not ‘Got My Sister’)
- *** Is Evil (apparently, Google doesn’t think anything is evil)
- Hate (only after a space following the word)
- Hedop (no one at 2600 knows what this is referring to, and I am also stumped…any suggestions?)
- New Pornographers (for those who don’t know, this is a band)
- Paris Hilton (lol)
- Rapping Women (sic…rapists can’t spell)
These are only some of the words that have been banned form Google Instant’s auto suggest. You can see the rest here, and there are plenty of bizarre ones that make you wonder who in the hell is coming up with them. Some are too specific (such as the misspelling) to be an automatic filter.