A quick rant on Nadya Suleman’s interview with Ann Curry

February 6, 2009

(ChattahBox) — Every word coming out of Nadya Suleman’s mouth in TODAY interview with Ann Curry makes me cringe. Nadya Suleman who gave birth to octuplets last week gave TODAY’s Ann Curry an exclusive interview, where she denies being selfish and as proof offers that she holds each baby 45 minutes a day. One wonders how many minutes a day she will hold the 6 kids she has at home all of whom are under the age of 7, when the other 8 babies arrive?

Suleman tells Ann Curry:
“All I wanted was children. I wanted to be a mom. That’s all I ever wanted in my life. I love my children.” While many will find Suleman to seem sincere, passionate and maybe sincere, I see a self absorbed psycho.

When Curry asks to “Describe what you felt you lacked within,” Suleman says:

“Feeling of self and identity,” Suleman, 33, replied. “I didn’t feel as though, when I was a child, I had much control of my environment. I felt powerless. And that gave me a sense of predictability. Reflecting back on my childhood, I know it wasn’t functional. It was pretty dysfunctional.”

Interesting that she describes her childhood as dysfunctional, and she is going to be raising these kids with her parents, who bought her the house she lives in.

Suleman had worked in a state mental hospital from 1997-2006, but spent much of the time after 1999 on disability after injuring her back in a riot at the facility. Suleman said she intends to return to college in the fall to complete a master’s degree in counseling. “I know I’ll be able to afford them when I’m done with my schooling,” One wonders how the heck is she going to do that an take care of 14 kids and go to school? Not to mention that her disability has suddenly gone away? The woman is delusional!

Suleman said she went to the same in vitro fertilization clinic to have all 14 of her children. All were conceived with donated sperm from the same father, Suleman said.

“How did an only child end up with 14 children?” Curry asked Nadya Suleman.

“That was always a dream of mine, to have a large family, a huge family, and I just longed for certain connections and attachments with another person that I really lacked, I believe, growing up,” she replied.

Sadly she choose to make 14 children suffer for her inadequacies instead of maybe having a house full of cats or something. The divorced single mom told Curry she tried to get pregnant for years before finally succeeding with IVF treatments. The clinic that choose to give fertility treatment to a woman with six young children already should be shut down and someone should lose their license. As for Suleman should some or all of her kids be taken away from her? I wish there was a better option?

The entire exclusive interview will air on TODAY Monday, Feb. 9, and on Dateline at 10 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 10.

Material from the Associated Press contributed to this report.

Comments

23 Responses to “A quick rant on Nadya Suleman’s interview with Ann Curry”

1. stopped at two on February 6th, 2009 12:01 pm

Dreamed of a big family? Suleman’s idiotic dreams reminds me of the South Park character Gerald Broflovski, who dreamed of being a dolphin, so he had “dolphinoplasty” surgery at an unethical clinic. When he realized the problems of being trans-species, he demanded special treatment. The only difference I can see between this cartoonish scenario and Nadya Suleman is that Gerald is a lawyer and could afford his own procedures and care. This real-life, unstable, self- centered leech cannot … we, the tax payers, will foot the bill for her “big dream.”

2. baby girl on February 6th, 2009 1:09 pm

This woman has serious issues and should be watched closely. Seems a bit psycho to me. Very selfish to ask taxpayers to foot the bill for her feelings of inadequacies. How can she make a good counselor?? How will she be able to work and hold each child for 45 minutes. I raised 4 alone and you can barely get through the week trying to meet everyone’s needs/wants. Some will suffer and it will be the children. Very selfish of her. Who is paying the hospital bill now??? Where will they sleep? Why isn’t the father coming forward to assume his responsibility to his 14 children? The doctor who implanted her should be sued and not permitted to practice anymore. What happened to his ethics?

3. no, silly on February 6th, 2009 3:07 pm

I don’t think taxpayers will be footing the bill – the stupid women who clamor to buy tabloids and watch interviews (along with people who hit, then post on the links about her on the web), will provide her more than enough money – she’ll probably even get a reality show out of it. Popular culture, as devoid of culture as that is – will foot the bill, and all the people who are clamoring for her interviews,and to get her interviews – will provide her with resources. So I’m sure she thanks you (and me) for the interest that will help her care for her children.

The problem really isn’t her at the end of the day – there have always been crazy people and always will be crazy people – but it’s the fact that crazy people can walk into clinics and say please plant 110 embryos in my uterus, and get it done – THAT, is the crazy part.

4. gh on February 6th, 2009 3:38 pm

why are we even discussing this issue? Shame on the media for even presenting this story and giving this person the publicity. Look out for copycats!

5. old tbird 8461 on February 6th, 2009 4:13 pm

i dont remember this woman asking anyone for anything,am i wrong? there were eleven of us children in my family,there twelve in my uncles family.so what is the problem?now everyone intiteled to an opinion,this is mine,it seems there are a lot of people out there with nose problems.they are sticking it where it dose not belong.of course none of this means anything to me,i am just an observer.

6. Lyn on February 6th, 2009 4:52 pm

How much did this “mother” earn for this interview? I’m serious does anyone else see something wrong about this person being given a media appearance? I wonder if anyone else feels the TODAY show gave away some credibility and lowered its standards in interviewing this woman and broadcasting that interview.

14 kids for 1 welfare mom – I don’t see this as mental illness I think it is a personality disorder. This woman wants to be like this, chooses to live like this, and she wants us to pay for it. Let the state take every damn kid away from her. Every month each of those kids is going to have to be covered by Medicaid, food stamps, and whatever other programs they can get on. And this is going to have to cover them at least up to age 18.

7. Laurel on February 6th, 2009 8:06 pm

I had the same thought when she said she would be able to support the babies after she finished her schooling. She’s going to finish school and take care of 14 kids at the same time? That sounds extremely unrealistic to me.

8. MASCHU on February 6th, 2009 9:37 pm

Tbird, think about it? Who do you think is paying for the preemie care those kids need now (and the medical care they will need for years due to the issues preemies tend to have, especially high-multiple birth ones)? Taxpayers. If she was on the dole, she didn’t have insurance. California taxpayers (maybe federal ones, too) are dishing out the dough. Millions it’s gonna be, guaranteed.

Plus, she’s gonna need daycare subsidized. She won’t be able to afford that. Guess who pays? She’s probably gonna stay on the dole–education grants as she admits to being a “professional student”, disability (call me skeptical of how disabled she is if she can h ave TWO deliveries of multiple births.

And she is asking for money. She and her parents are trolling for corporate sponsors, book and film deals, and even money to appear on Oprah.

If she does get a deal, that money needs to go to pay for the medical bills, so taxpayers don’t. Looks like the disbility money paid the thousands for her plastic surgery (look at her nose, cheeks, and lips, etc).

This woman did this for the money. I am not believing her tale of dysfunctional woes.

9. Earl on February 7th, 2009 5:32 am

She collected over $165,000 in disability payments over the past 6 years (that’s $2,300/month). She’s crazy all right….crazy like a fox! She too disabled to go to work, yet she can keep popping out more children. This woman is a master at scamming the system, and she knows she’s got her ticket to millionaire row right now. She apparently received $300,000 for the Ann Curry interview….she doesn’t have to work. Her kids are now her meal ticket!! She’ll be getting free diapers for life, and watch…she’ll have her kids promoting products in another year or so.

What I really want to know is…..IVF is very expensive, who paid for that, since she was on disability??? Also, it’s obvious she’s had lots of bad plastic surgery (note the creepy puffy Joker smile, a dead giveaway). This woman is totally self-absorbed! I feel sorry for her kids.

10. old tbird8461 on February 7th, 2009 3:09 pm

you know! i guess you people are right.mabe,everyone should show up at her house and take all of the kids and do away with them.i bet that would teach her a lesson.what happened to all of the rights i fought for in nam,under the name of freedom.people! our goverment tried to kill me,under the guise of freedom.of course i cant fault anyone.all these years the people have been indoctrinated with this special information.it is called brain washing.hell no i dont trust any government. the people are suppose to be the goverment. if the people are not in charge,then what chance have we? im sorry,let me get back off of my soap box.i didnt mean to go off like that.we are all god`s children.we must learn to get along.in closing i think we all should try to improve our common sense.

11. Suzay on February 9th, 2009 12:54 pm

Welfare SCAM! Beverly Hills IVF! -for a welfare recipient. California, how $tupid are you?
    Hawaii USED to allow fertility treatments for welfare recipients, but they were smart enough to figure that, that IS where babies come from!
    Other states and taxpayers are sick of subsidising this state with taxes on our power bills,etc.
    WOW new ramifications for invitro dads,…if they pop they should pay as well. Suleman,Soloman Solo man. Can’t be that many doctors working in one clinic-Investigate them, would you? Try the DNA trail Ms Ann Curry-should be juicy,
    Shame on California welfare system!! Time for an overhaul, ya think?
    Oh I feel much better, getting disgust of my mind…

12. Suzay on February 9th, 2009 1:15 pm

Nationwide we have a new meaning for the old phrase “Californicate”.

13. Katie on February 9th, 2009 1:46 pm

Old TBird, I agree with you. She’s not on welfare yet so let’s not label her that. She said she’s not on welfare and would not accept it. But she said she would accept help from family, friends, neighbors, and her church, so if you think that’s leeching I guess you’re right, but then who us hasn’t been a leech at one time in our lives based on that.
    Plus, it’s not our business what she chooses to do with her own body and in the privacy of her own home. I’ve seen kids living in worse conditions that what’s been shown in the Suleman home, with tons of kids there too, and CPS didn’t take those kids away. So I can’t see them stepping in here. The house looked messy to me, it didn’t look like a rat-hole. There was a picture of the grandmother outside with four of her grandchildren sitting on a blanket smiling and the caption said: “Grandmother trying to wrangle four of the children”. What is that??? The kids looked happy and were sitting quietly on a blanket in the yard. Oh in any way was that her trying to wrangle them? You can put a positive or negative spin on this whole thing.
    I’ll offer them my prayers.

14. ro on February 9th, 2009 2:06 pm

i agree, every single penny that she gets from all the media should go to paying for her own medical bills. obviously, if she has monies coming in now she shouldn’t have to stay on welfare either.
    as far as disability payments??? that too should stop! how in the world can you say you are disabled and then proceed to get impregnated (which as i recall, puts a lot of wear and tear on one’s body!) and carries over 20 lbs of babies. and is able to lift and hold and do all the other things she does. disabled? please!
    and 30 doctors assisted in the birth. geez, how did anyone else get care that day. were they all needed or were they in it for the media. can’t wait to see their bills!
    the state of california is furloughing its employees due to lack of cash and yet is paying for this insanity. arnie, you need to have garnishments slapped on any of the monies that she is raking in.
    t

15. Elise on February 9th, 2009 11:51 pm

Um.. Katie SHE IS ON WELFARE!!! HAS BEEN FOR 6 YEARS. Her publicist just admitted it. She’s on SSI for 3 kids at who knows how much, Food stamps at $500/month. Just this morning the woman claimed she didn’t take ANY assistance from the Government. WHAT A LIAR! She’s a walking mental job and those babies need to be removed for neglect alone. I hold my one baby and pay attention to her all day long and it drains me. She has 14 babies. This is worse than a puppy mill and we protect the puppies better than babies. It’s so sad, even her own mother says she is a mess and can’t handle the 6 she has and hasn’t helped at all with them.

16. Chris on February 10th, 2009 2:31 pm

This woman is a JERK. She goes on tv with her long french manicured nails talking about how she can’t wait to get home to see her other 6 kids? (Obviously getting a manicure and doing an interview was more important then rushing home to see them. She’s only been in the hospital for 2 months!) ALSO, how does one diapar, bathe, dress etc. eight infants with long fake nails? She is going to be clawing those babies to shreds. It speaks volumes about how involved she was with raising the other 6. We know her MOTHER did it all. Her mother is furious. She has LOST her own home after she spent 500,000 plus on a home for Nadya and her children. The Grandma was eventually forced to live there, she may as well since she paid for it and is the primary caregiver. She says Nadya has not spent ANY of her disability $ on the kids and has drained her parents. The father went to Iraq to earn money and Grandma says she oughta here when those babies come home. Nadya just sits there and smiles and says…”Oh I will be able to afford them when I finish my schooling….” How about affording them FIRST? Is she nuts? How does one raise 14 kids under the age of 7 and go to school? I am sure she is going to breast feed them all too while she does her hw! Lets say she somehow miracuously finishes school. Is someone just going to hand her a high paying job just like that? She is a WACKO! Who’s gonna pay in the meantime? She will never even put a dent in the hospital bills alone. AND SHE WANTS TO COUNSEL OTHERS? I weep for the future.

17. christie on February 11th, 2009 12:34 am

I agree with Katie! I cannot believe all of this nonsense over 1 woman’s choice. Seriously people! Do you know how many retrobates are out there shooting drugs living in crack houses and whoring themselves AND their children around for more money for drugs – popping babies out (messed up babies because of the drugs) and no body says 1 freakin word about that – and I can guarantee you that has happened with more than 14 babies that have been a drain on the health care and welfare systems! The only reason those people aren’t collecting disability is because they’ve never had a job!
    Give it a rest. With the economy the way it is and men and women dying everyday in war in the east why don’t we spend our time doing the best we can for our families and wishing others the best for their lives. After america cleans up their drug problems and child poverty, then maybe somebody should get this upset over one woman.
    I would say the same thing about the disability! Do you know how many people are out there on disability and still working and getting paid under the table. Don’t make her out to be the worst person around because she is on disability. Give me a break – lets get the log out of our own eyes before we start slinging mud here! Is this situation seriously going to affect any of you – in your own home in your everyday lives?
    Honestly, she will have enough struggles because of her choice, why not wish her, her children and her parents the best. She obviously seems to have some kind of faith in God – is HE not her judge? We certainly don’t need to be. I wish them all well and will be praying for their health and safety (surrounded by the kind of American’s that have been the most vocal – they’ll need all the prayer and support they can get!)

18. Cristina on February 11th, 2009 3:15 am

Nadya Suleman is a big liar. She lied about not taking taxpayers’ money – where does she think the government gets funds to pay for disability for THREE of her previous 6 kids (she seemed kind of hesitant about two of their disabilities and quickly said they would soon not need payments soon- what a scammer!). Then she lies about her plastic surgery. I’ve seen before and after pics of her and she must think we’re dumb if we think her huge, inflated lips are real. She’s totally selfish. She has an autistic kid at home and five others – yet she wants more. She has plastic surgery while her mother is taking care of the kids and is hardly able to make ends meet. . I feel for her parents and her kids. Maybe being an only child made her as selfish as she is today. Poor little only child. Puh-leeze.

19. scout on February 11th, 2009 11:19 pm

Nadya Suleman is happily living off both State and Federal taxpayers with her 10 years worth of monthly Workers’ Compensation payments, her 3 children’s social security disability payments, her monthly food stamps and all her family’s covered medical bills (including the octuplet’s current birth and hospital stay and treatment).

Our taxes should go to honest and hard working people who’ve been hit by a major illness, accident or job loss, not to someone who’s made living off the system a way of life.

20. juliew on February 12th, 2009 3:15 am

Katie, this woman did not do this in the privacy of her own home, apparently its all over the place. shes been on tv a few times, has a website where you can donate if you want. How much more public can she be???? it is really bad that her home is as messy as it is and its only gonna get worse. 14 children, eight that are preemies and are going to need a whole lot of attention for a really long time, shes a single mother with a mother and father… how much can they really get done at one time…. when people had that many children they were usually married and didn’t have more than one at a time, they would wait a year or two sometimes more before they had another…..and how do you know that the children were quiet it was a picture!!!!!it only took a second to take it

21. Jane on February 12th, 2009 11:25 am

She should not get a damn thing. I believe the children who should be adopted out to families who cant have children, but can afford them and have a job!

22. Suzay on February 12th, 2009 9:53 pm

I’m back, and I spelled it wrong! Forgive me. It should be Cali fornic 8.

And now there is a trust fund for the “family”-Remember Terry Schaivo, the parents had a trust fund, just like this that would take cash or credit cards.
    Do ya remember that the parents were the biggest advocates -didn’t want to remove the life $$$upport… hmmm, why might this be…
    You gotta ask yourself what kind of trust is it? Charitable Remainder Trust costs about 2,500. It is used to generate money for a good cause ,BUT the bulk of the money can continue to be sucked out of it, by the beneficiaries, until they croak,and then the Remainder is given to a charity.
    What part of this did the Terry parents play-or the Wyoming millionaire donating Xthousand acres to his own trust(like the Kennedy’s, etc do all the time)-actually he ,THEY get
    100% credit for the donation with the government,
    and I believe they get to(if it were a money donation),take back out 75%.if they put it in the right entity.
    Test Tube to be or not Tube be. and for now, that’s all from me. Now don’t you fornic 8

23. tbird8461 on February 14th, 2009 9:04 pm

ok,people.i will more than likely catch a lot of flack for this post,but you know?i really dont care.first,i was born dumb,and i have been losing ground ever since.how ever i do have that ever elusive gift of common sense.ok,now that is out of the way,lets get to it.this woman isnt doing any thing that some other people have been doing for a hundred years or so.now what is the problem?common sense will tell you that these people are taught this way of life from birth.there is one four letter word in our vocabulary that scares people to death,it is the word work.people dont want to work anymore.of course some have a good reason to think that way.a man or woman works like a dog all their lives,and then here comes someone that just cant get up in the morning and go to a job.well the socialised dummies say,well you should give a part of what you have to the poor souls that just dont belive in working.you know?? i had better quit before i get on my soap box.before i quit i want to remind everyone,the biggest problem america has is nobody wants to tell the truth anymore.