Texas Lawmaker Wants Chinese Americans to Change to “Easier” Names

April 9, 2009

(ChattahBox)—Republican Texas legislator, Rep. Betty Brown doesn’t want to ” learn Chinese” to be able to decipher names of Chinese Americans and suggested they adopt names that are “easier for Americans to deal with.” Brown’s comments were directed to Ramey Ko, a representative of the Organization of Chinese Americans, during testimony on voter identification legislation. Her comments were criticized as racially insensitive by Texas Democrats, and they are demanding an apology.

Brown’s spokesperson defended the comments, saying Brown was trying to simplify what she views as a “problem” identifying Asian names for voting purposes. The spokesperson, Jordan Berry claimed Democrats are trying to make the issue “about race.”

Granted, there is evidence of some confusion at polling stations, as many Chinese Americans have legal transliterated names and then a common English name. However, I’m sure the Texas lawmakers can put their heads together and resolve the issue.

Suggesting that Chinese Americans or any other American citizens should be forced to erase their family names and ethnic heritage, and adopt Anglo Saxon monikers, well like Brown for example, is not acceptable.

Critics of voter identification laws, contend they suppress votes of the poor and disenfranchised ethnic groups. Texas Democrats see Brown’s comments as further evidence of the unfairness and racially charged nature of voter identification laws.

File this under the category of yet another tin eared politician who just “doesn’t get it.”

Source

Comments

7 Responses to “Texas Lawmaker Wants Chinese Americans to Change to “Easier” Names”

1. Old Man Dotes on April 9th, 2009 7:40 pm

Let’s see… Racially insensitive… Republican… Old , rich white woman… Yeah, that’s probably right. And the old, ruch white woman’s response, unverbalized because it might cost her even more votes, would be, “Yeah? So? I’m rich, I can do whatever I want to do.”

Oh, yes, and she is also opposed to a woman’s right to control her own body:
    This is from her own Web page at http://www.electbettybrown.com/news

October 9, 2008

The non-profit Texas Alliance for Life has endorsed Representative Betty Brown because of her dedicated support for pro-life issues.

2. Basketball Jones on April 9th, 2009 8:19 pm

If the problem is the election officials cannot read the names very well then it’s obvious. Texas has unqualified people running the elections. Now that can;t be a good thing, can it?

3. Chinese Translator on April 10th, 2009 9:05 am

Our company was recently commissioned by a number of schools and training centers to find English

teachers for them. Anyone who intends to teach English language in China may contact me via

uocpos@gmail.com or qq at 243347925 if you know it and use it. Better you send me your personal

resume and salary request, which I will deliver the school related as soon as I receive.

This is a program that will last for about 10 years. Feel free to contact me anytime and I will

reply each e-mail you send to me in time.

uocpos@gmail.com

4. EsotericWombat on April 12th, 2009 12:49 am

So a Republican makes ethnically insensitive statements, and then accuses anyone who calls them on it of playing the race card.

I think I’ve seen this one before.

5. melissa on September 14th, 2009 1:52 am

i want my name in chinese letters but dont no how to get it ?

6. melissa on September 14th, 2009 1:53 am

i want my name in chinese letters

7. megan halagan on October 8th, 2010 4:25 pm

I wanna learn how to draw these symboles and know their meaning! id also like to learn about elements and how they are incorporated with martial arts!