Craigslist Killer: Kept Victim’s Panties as Trophies

April 22, 2009

Comments

6 Responses to “Craigslist Killer: Kept Victim’s Panties as Trophies”

1. Nella Benton on April 22nd, 2009 5:14 pm

How about using the word “underpants” instead of “panties”? Most women use the word underpants; and panties is a word that has a creepy, leering tone to it.

2. George Sakalo on April 22nd, 2009 8:54 pm

So if I have a blackberry, girl friend has her panties in my apartment, have a couple of duct tapes, a plastic tape that binds all wires, a gun to protect myself – the police can walk into apartment and pin the blame of any murder on me.

Nice.

3. leia on April 22nd, 2009 11:17 pm

I say don’t change a thing. the story of the craigslist killer is supposed to be creepy.???!!!!

4. Gregory F on April 23rd, 2009 1:44 pm

My mom’s generation doesn’t even use the term “underpants”.

5. Sue on April 23rd, 2009 9:04 pm

Interesting Comments! Nella I agree, the word panties does seem to take on a creepy connotation when associated with a killer taking them as trophies, but that’s kind of the point here. The so called Craigslist Killer lured women to hotel rooms to rob them, tie them up, gag them, threaten them with a gun and in at least one instance, brutally murdered one of the women.

These young women were advertising, “massage services” on Craiglist. I don’t think these particular women were wearing granny cotton “underwear.”

I’m always mindful of devising a title drawing a reader to the crux of an article, without being overly sensational. I think in this instance, using the word underpants just wouldn’t have had the same impact.

6. Rhonda on May 1st, 2009 8:34 pm

“the panties indicate, there are other victims of Markoff’s who are afraid to come forward.” I have never known panties to indicate anything. Was he raping and then stealing their money? Or are the cops just counting to 16 and assuming 16 victims?