Are You Kidding Me? Iowa Board Of Pharmacy Ignores Marijuana Order

June 6, 2009

Iowa (ChattahBox) – In a stunningly illegal move on the part of the Iowa Board of Pharmacy, board members have apparently decided that their esteemed positions within the medical community gives them the power to totally ignore court orders.

According to a report by the Huffington Post, a court ruling this week ordered the Iowa Board of Pharmacy to consider whether to reclassify marijuana as having medical value.

It seems like a simple enough request, given that they are the head of pharmaceuticals within the states. However, they do not appear to agree.

Rather then doing their jobs, the board sidestepped the order, claiming that the court had been wrong for not providing scientific proof about medical marijuana in the court order. There was no specification as to what the proof should be relating to, only that it should have been there.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, folks, but isn’t the the job of the Iowa Board Of Pharmacy to generate the proof, more than the courts? As far as I am aware, the court system is there to rule based on evidence that they have seen, not the other way around.

Besides, the question to the board was not ‘What will you need to be happy about medical marijuana?’ It was a fairly abstract query as to the potential medical use based on evidence from the mass amount of science that already exists.

Here are a few choice quotes provided in the Huffington Post article that shows the massive backtracking, and transparent attempt to avoid the court order given to them:

“I have a very difficult time saying that there was any type of scientific evidence-based type of evidence given to us that day. The fact that the other states have done this does not mean that Iowa has to follow suit. We need to have a lot of evidence.”

Ed Maier, commenting to the lack of evidence in the court order, but ignoring the evidence that has been provided in about a hundred studies just in the last few years done on the subject.

“And he said, ‘Well, if all your friends jumped off the bridge, does that mean you should jump off the bridge?’ So, to me this whole other 12, what is now 13 states, allowing medical marijuana use is not at all sufficient to allow the Board of Pharmacy to make a decision.”

DeeAnn Wedemeyer-Oleson said, first in describing a story of a confrontation in her youth with her father, and then of why precedence apparently has no place in medicine.

In the end, I am not angry about this from the perspective of a medical marijuana advocate. To be perfectly honest while I see the benefits of legalization, I don’t have a very strong opinion either way on the issue.

No, what I am furious about is that this was an order, handed down from a ruling by the court. The arrogance in thinking that they can just decide they don’t want to do what they are told is stunning, because it seems to imply that these glorified pharmacists believe they are somehow above the law.

A case was created. A ruling was made. A court order was given. The board is obligated, by law, to follow it, whether they like it or not. Period.

Comments

6 Responses to “Are You Kidding Me? Iowa Board Of Pharmacy Ignores Marijuana Order”

1. Posts about Huffington Post as of June 6, 2009 » The Daily Parr on June 6th, 2009 11:44 am

[…] about Huffington Post as of June 6, 2009 Are You Kidding Me? Iowa Board Of Pharmacy Ignores Marijuana Order – chattahbox.com 06/06/2009 Iowa (ChattahBox) – In a stunningly illegal move on the part of the […]

2. Pow on June 6th, 2009 2:08 pm

So I assume they goto jail or loos there jobs right???

3. Mr. Bob on June 6th, 2009 2:26 pm

No they dont go to jail or lose their jobs. Their fate is worse, they continue living as ignorant folk.

4. tommy jacobs on June 6th, 2009 6:06 pm

these people ought to be fired, or even better held in contempt and jailed.

Marijuana needs to be 100% legal, as the evidence suggest that alcohol and tobbacco are more dangerous than Marijuana.

I know people that smoke Marijuana and dont drink, and vise versa, the ones who smoke Marijuana never smoke in front of their children, the ones who drink drink in front of their kids. you tell me the more responsible group?

There is more reasons to legalize Marijuana than not to. the list is too long to list here. but do some research as i have and you will see exactly what I am talking about.

God put Marijuana on earth for a reason, what gives the United States Government the right to make it illegal????

5. tommy jacobs on June 6th, 2009 6:24 pm

After I made my post, I noticed that the word responsible was underlined, I cliked on it thinking that I had mispelled the word, but was led to a movie, just wanted everyone to know that I had nothing to do with this.

6. Marv on June 10th, 2009 11:13 pm

Even if I am not an advocate of medical marijuana, I should strongly agree with you that the Board of Pharmacy must submit to court orders.

“According to a report by the Huffington Post, a court ruling this week ordered the Iowa Board of Pharmacy to CONSIDER whether to reclassify marijuana as having medical value.”

The court didn’t actually ordered them to classify marijuana as having medical value right away, but, at least, to consider. This means, in m opinion, that they should do further deliberate study in order to prove whether or not marijuana can be classified having medical value.