Miami-area serial cat killer suspect arrested

June 14, 2009

(ChattahBox) — Miami-area cat owners are breathing easier after the early Sunday morning arrest of a very disturbed 18-year-old who police believe mutilated and killed nearly three dozen cats. Tyler Weinman was charged with 19 counts of animal cruelty, four counts of burglary and 19 counts of improper disposing of an animal body, according to the Miami Herald. Police said he was arrested while attending a party in Coral Gables.

Neighbors and police have said the 33 cats found dead were severely beaten, skinned or sliced open. The suspect’s parents divorced in 2006, according to county civil records and the teen split time between their homes less then 1.5 miles apart in Palmetto and Cutler bays respectively, allowing him to attack cats in both neighborhoods. My own two cents is I hope this very sick teen if guilty, gets all the counseling he needs, but in the meantime is taken off the streets for a very long time to come.

Comments

15 Responses to “Miami-area serial cat killer suspect arrested”

1. David C on June 14th, 2009 1:21 pm

Tyler Weinman, 18, was arrested in the killing and mutilation of more than a dozen cats in Palmetto and Cutler bays…
    The video from the scene:Tyler Weinman-video-online

2. Sailingwindward on June 14th, 2009 2:35 pm

By the time he reaches the age of 25 he won’t be satisfied with just killing cats and eventually move on to people or small children so if convicted of felony animal cruelty he should be given the maximum penalty of five (5) years each count and serve his sentences consecutively which means 19 counts X 5 years = 95 years. If convicted of misdemeanor charges they carry up to one (1) year in jail and can also run consecutively, 19 counts X 1 year = 19 years, either way this guy needs to be off the streets for a long time.

3. juliet on June 14th, 2009 2:45 pm

Judging by the mugshot, that kid thinks it’s funny. He’s only been charged, not found guilty yet. But whoever did this, it’s important that he be caught now because very often, people who do horrible and abusive things to animals when they’re kids turn out to be serial murders of people when they’re older. This person needs serious help, and now, or we’ll all be dealing with him in a far worse way in the future.

4. Jack Ham on June 14th, 2009 3:19 pm

How sad that so many poor, innocent animals and their owners had to suffer because of this monster. I truly hope he gets a life sentence without the possibility of parole, and then I hope he gets his comeuppance in jail from some brusk, burley animal lover inmates. I hope all animal lovers follow this case to make sure he doesnt get a slap on the wrist – as often happens in animal cruelty cases. These monsters, especially if they are young, are often given probation, or a trivial sentence for brutalizing animals. Then when released, continue their evil, except with more care. If you ensure animals, please contact the Miami-Dade police department and District Attorney’s office and voice your support of making sure this dude never sees another free day.

5. Reality Check on June 14th, 2009 4:25 pm

If his mug shot is any indication he needs to be locked up for a very very long time. This is a sign of bigger things to come in this young mans future. I hope he pays dearly for what he has done to these family pets.

6. cat killer miami | Latest Trends on June 14th, 2009 5:49 pm

[…] Miami-area serial cat killer suspect arrested […]

7. Execute him. on June 15th, 2009 5:27 am

About a weeks worth of hard-core torture, followed by a bullet into his brain… That’s what this sick scum deserves. Thank God he got caught before he did this to some child, which is always where things like this lead to.

There is no repairing a sicko like this… Do the world a favor and exterminate this piece of trash.

8. SAMANTHA on June 16th, 2009 7:10 am

HANG HIM, HE SHOULD NEVER GET OUT ITS UP TO US TAXPAYERS TO STAY ON TOP OF THIS AND SPEAK OUR MIND DONT LET THEM GIVE THIS TRASH A LIGHT SENTENCE

9. eliza on June 17th, 2009 12:37 am

Our criminal laws are inadequate for dealing with this kind of monster. This psycho needs to be in jail for life but that won’t happen, due to laws that only require a six month sentence for animal cruelty.

He will spend a few months in jail, learn some new tricks from hardened criminals, then be back out on the street more dangerous than before.

Let’s change the laws so that dangerous psychopaths like this can be locked away forever.

10. TARA on June 17th, 2009 12:25 pm

HOPE HE BURNS IN HELL

11. Kathy on June 19th, 2009 12:02 pm

I have never ever written in to a website before but I am so horrified by this monstrous kid I had to. I am also so relieved to find that the comments I have just read are just how I am feeling. I saw pictures of the people and cats he hurt and I cried–for days. I have two cats whom I adore. They are my family. This awful person will def kill again. Kids next. And he doesn’t just kill, he tortures. HOW can we stop this? Seriously, what can I do to stop this kid getting out in 6 months?

12. monica on June 20th, 2009 1:08 am

Hi, Kathy,

I have contacted the prosecutor’s office to express my concerns. I have called, emailed and written that this piece of filth needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extent, and the maximum sentence should be sought. If enough people speak out we will be taken seriously.

13. Miami Beach Condos on August 26th, 2009 4:12 pm

This kid is so twisted, I just hope he can salvage something from his incarceration and possibly become a functioning member of society.

14. Edith on February 2nd, 2010 11:48 pm

I just found out about this. If I had seen this kid do these horrible acts I would most likely had killed him. Why is it that most of the time when someone kills a human they get life-sentence in prison but when it’s an animal they only get a couple of months? Everyone uses that stupid excuse “oh, I was mistreated as a child”, “boohooo, my parents got divorced”. Well, fuck his life and everything he has gone through. I feel no compassion for this human scum. There is absolutely NO EXCUSE to kill an animal. The human race has reached a new level of stupidity. This monster deserves a slow and painful death, so he can know what being tortured feels like. These kind of people do not deserve to live.

15. catkiller on March 1st, 2010 2:08 pm

i love this its soooo funny lol