Ex Fox News Pundit: Glenn Beck is ‘Way Over the Top’ and ‘Scary’

October 26, 2009

(ChatahBox)—Jane Hall, a contributor to Fox News for over a decade, former journalist and media professor, said she left the conservative Fox News network, because she became appalled at Glenn Beck’s on air vitriolic rants, calling him “scary.” Hall, appearing on CNN’s Reliable Sources program on Sunday, hosted by Howie Kurtz, also condemned Fox News for gradually removing even the appearance of legitimate debate from its programs, to instead highlight only right-wing points of view.

For years, Hall appeared on the O’Reilly Factor and Fox News Watch, to lend an appearance of credibility and a voice on the “left” to discussions featuring extreme right-wing pundit Bernie Goldberg. But Hall admits she isn’t a liberal, but rather a moderate conservative.

Appearing, as part of a round table to discus the Obama administration’s recent criticism of Fox News, as not a legitimate news organization, Hall believes the complaints make the White House look like “whiners.” But she also acknowledged that the outrageous conspiracy theories and anti-Obama sentiment from Hannity and Beck are echoed by the news division, as straight news.

HALL: “I think it’s fair to say though that media matters, a liberal watchdog group, did a compilation tape that does show that there has been a campaign to say that Obama was a Socialist, a Communist a racist on news programs, as well as on commentary.”

Hall then noted that other journalists had told her that they would not appear on Fox News, because of the bias:

KURTZ: When you appeared regularly on O’Reilly were you kind of a token from the dreaded MSM?

HALL: “Well I was there as a defender of the MSM and you wouldn’t believe how many famous journalists I talked to that said, better you than me. Let me tell you my side of the story, and they didn’t want to come on. It’s hard to do because it’s like ‘When did you quit beating your wife? That was usually the question, but I thought it was worth doing.”

Kurtz then asked Hall if she felt she was used to “give Fox a certain degree of legitimacy coming on as a media professor. She said she primarily left because of Glenn Beck’s scariness:

HALL: No, I didn’t. The reason I left was in part because they’ve had less debates than they used to. It is a fair point to say how much debate is there on MSNBC? How many Republican strategists? We have a bifurcation of the media.

KURTZ: Wait a second. The reason you left is because you feel they have less debate than they used to. In other words, it used to be Hannity and Colmes, now it’s just Hannity. It used to be Bernie and Jane. Now it’s just Bernie.

HALL: I think there’s less debate than there was. And I’m also, frankly, uncomfortable with Beck, who I think should be called out as somebody whose language is way over the top. And it’s scary.

Watch:

Source

Comments

7 Responses to “Ex Fox News Pundit: Glenn Beck is ‘Way Over the Top’ and ‘Scary’”

1. Jon-In-Ca on October 26th, 2009 1:32 pm

WHAT?? An Ex-Fox news … (now) CNN commentator said something unflattering about Fox’s Glenn Beck??

NOOOOOOO… I’m shocked!!

LMAO… seriously – you Beck-haters need to get a life.

2. Effie on October 26th, 2009 1:35 pm

CNN’s Gloria Borger is a “straight” reporter, that is hilarious! She is a liberal and as biased as MSNBC. You noticed that Jane Hall laughed when Kurtz said that.

President Obama is getting all his “pocket reporters” in on the strategy to attack FOX. FOX was right about ACORN and Van Jones. The WH is attacking FOX to warn the other networks that they better not follow FOX’s lead.

Glenn Beck may be over the top for people who do not get his humor. His red phone is always ready to take a call from the WH if anything he says is not true. We already know that the WH emails shows like “Morning Joe” in real time to clarify something that was said on the show. Why not FOX?

3. Rob on October 26th, 2009 1:47 pm

Jane Hall was cut from Fox News because she isn’t young and hot like the others on Fox. Good riddance, I love the hot ladies on Fox.

4. Old Man Dotes on October 26th, 2009 1:53 pm

@Rob: It’s good to know that you are carefully weighing the reasoned arguments presented by Fox News, and not letting your gonads do the thinking for you.

Dear God, deliver me from voters who can be led around by their sexual apparatus.

5. the guy on October 26th, 2009 2:11 pm

I like how they are conspiracy theories even when some of these white house people are resigning after people find out who they are.

Maybe the white house should try to give a valad argument on a few things instead of call names, they are just making themselves look terrible.

Compare web sites of these news organizations, usually CNN’s front page ” major ” stories are things that would hardly make the local news. It’s really sad.

6. Earl Dumarest on October 26th, 2009 4:02 pm

Jane is bitter. I hate to say that since I did enjoy watching her. But the facts are that the only thing to change on Fox is conservative John Gibson was replaced by conservative Glenn Beck. And Hannity still has liberals on his show. Alan Colmes was awful. Even the far left didn’t like him. And the name of the game is ratings. Fox’s ratings are taking off since those moves have been made. And get this, half of Fox viewers are democrats and independents.

One last thing, if you ever watch Beck, he documents everything. Lots of footage of democrats.

But Jane is full of it. This was a tremendous blow to Jane’s career. If she had felt that Fox was too slanted, she should have stayed there to make a difference. But she was forced out. So sad.

7. Carolyn Rudolph on November 29th, 2009 6:31 pm

Fox News is anything but “fair and balanced”. I like to watch all different networks and try to put together the truth from all of their opinions and agendas.
    I watch less and less Fox since Glenn Beck is so over the top.