Rand Paul Aide Quits Over MySpace Racism, ‘Afro-Americans’ Have ‘KKK Radar’

December 18, 2009

(ChattahBox)—The Kentucky Senatorial campaign of Libertarian Republican Rand Paul is getting off to a rocky start. On Thursday, Rand Paul son of Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX), accepted the resignation of Christopher Hightower, 37, after racist images and comments were discovered on Hightower’s MySpace page. One image showed a lynching, with a friend’s comment, “Happy Ni**** Day!” at the time of Martin Luther King Day. And several posts left by Hightower spoke of the reaction he received from “Afro-Americans” while wearing a KKK hoodie to the local mall.

The Paul spokesman also made national headlines recently when he referred to a video comparing opponent Trey Grayson to Hitler, as “Too funny!!”

Hightower’s dislike of “Afro-Americans” came to light after the liberal Kentucky blog, Barefoot and Progressive uncovered his old MySpace page. The site has now been scrubbed, but of course screen caps remain. Before Hightower became an aide to Rand Paul, he was the lead singer in a local heavy metal band, named Commander. Hightower specialized in songs about the devil and the Dark Lord’s satanic powers. The satanic heavy metal band had a MySpace page, with individual pages for band members. And that’s where Hightower’s fondness for racism and white supremacy survived on the Internet.

Read about Hightower’s discovery of the “KKK Radar” of “Afro-Americans”:

“I’m so “anti trend.” Long hair and wearing black metal band t’shirts is a trend I’m apart of. SHIT. I didn’t want to buy new clothes, so I cut my hair. Now I’m being mistaken for a skinhead and KKK member.. Great I’m in another trend. It never ends.”

“So, I was in Rivergate Mall today in line to get some pizza and I noticed a group of Afro-Americans were looking at me with hate and whispering stuff. I was wondering WTF and procceeded [sic] to sit facing them and give them the “what the fuck are you looking at look”. Anyway after a few snarls they quit looking at me. I was like do these fuckers think I am someone else or what? Anyway I finished my food and went to find some new shoes. About 10 minutes later, another group of Afro-Americans are giving me the same looks, it then dawns on me, there has to be something on this hoodie that is pissing off the Afro-Americans. And sure enough when I get outside the mall I look and bingo. KKK …. LOL!”

Hightower responds to a friend’s comment on the incident:

“Damn, they must have really been studying” Hightower responds: “They must have, cause the first incident happened within me being at the mall for like 3 to 5 minutes. They must have KKK “radar”‘

Barefoot and Progressive also uncovered a YouTube video of Hightower denouncing Southern Baptists and supporting polygamy. He also ranted against “Christian lies.” No doubt, the very conservative state of Kentucky would not take kindly to such talk.

After an investigation into Hightower’s MySpace racism, by Paul campaign manager David Adams, Hightower’s resignation was immediately accepted. Hightower denied that he had a MySpace page, casting himself as a victim of a political attack. Hightower said he was attacked because opponents can’t find “any dirt” on Paul.

But yesterday, Hightower managed to log on to the MySpace account that he didn’t have, to delete the offensive posts about his KKK mall outing, but he inexplicably left the lynching image on his wall. Hightower has since deleted his MySpace profile.

Paul issued a statement, saying that he never heard Hightower make racist comments, but accepted his resignation to prevent the controversy from overshadowing his campaign issues.

See Barefoot and Progressive for more.

Comments

19 Responses to “Rand Paul Aide Quits Over MySpace Racism, ‘Afro-Americans’ Have ‘KKK Radar’”

1. Jim McClarin on December 18th, 2009 10:40 am

Without very thorough vetting of campaign workers these types of unpleasant surprises are almost inevitable. Then of course there is the opposition candidate’s quest to dig up just this sort of background dirt with which to smear an opponent. Finally, there is the much-used arsenal of dirty tricks that can amplify a questionable background if not wholly manufacture it. We’ll probably see a fair amount of this during the campaign season.

2. George Pohl on December 18th, 2009 12:57 pm

Why don’t you blog the whole story? The AP is carrying it.
    Hightower said he has never had a personal MySpace page, and that he has been targeted in the past by people posing as him on the Internet.

“Because they don’t have any dirt on Rand Paul, they want to try to create dirt on people that work for him,” Hightower explained.

The point being that anyone can open a MySpace account and maintain a page under any name they want (even a political target) to make it seem as though the targeted person is posting offensive material.

A new spin on an old trick. This is clearly a case of manufactured muck-slinging of the lowest order.

3. Sue on December 18th, 2009 1:22 pm

George:

I in fact did quote Hightower’s claim from the AP’s account: “Hightower denied that he had a MySpace page, casting himself as a victim of a political attack. Hightower said he was attacked because opponents can’t find “any dirt” on Paul.”

He may not have had a “personal” MySpace account, but it certainly appears that he once actively posted on his personal page under the MySpace account of his former band, Commander.

If in fact, all of his posted comments were fabricated by a political opponent that will all eventually come out. But for now, that doesn’t seem the case. Some of the images and comments were posted in 2006.

Sue

4. The Monk... on December 18th, 2009 2:16 pm

“If you’re trying to give a gift of dissolute, that I do not desire, who then does it belong to?” – The Monk

5. Rasp on December 18th, 2009 2:20 pm

This whole racist webpage thing is a hoax. How better to slur Hightower than paint him as a racist. If anyone is stupid enough to believe that because it’s on the internet, it must be true, they should check out the President Obama homepage on nigg ermania.com.

6. Ryan on December 18th, 2009 6:09 pm

A racist Republican from Kentucky? Come on that’s not real. Definitely a hoax.

7. KF on December 18th, 2009 7:22 pm

Yeah, so like in 2006, folks knew Hightower was going to support Rand Paul, so they went online almost four years ago to post these messages and photos of ignorance on his band’s website, just to late frame him when he’s working for Paul. Okey dokey. Whatever you say. I declare shenanigans. How come the racists always claim they were framed up or some other distraction when the light shines on them and sends them scurrying like the roaches that they are? And forget the raciial stuff for a second, how ’bout that devil worshiping anti-Christ stuff from the sucky failed band “Commander?” Was that all planted to frame him up as well? You people are funny. Twisted, funny and sad. Poor picked on Hightower, he never sang Satan-centric, anti-Christian music either, did he? hehehehehee

8. Darryl Schmitz on December 19th, 2009 10:36 am

Let’s see if I understand this correctly.
    If I 1) create a MySpace page in the name of a political opponent’s campaign spokesman, 2) post something extremely offensive on it and 3) leak the information at a time most likely to generate the most explosive sudden firestorm of controversy that forces the campaign spokesman to resign before an adequate investigation can be conducted, then 1) my political opponent will be embarassed (all the better if he is a person less likely to engage in the same dirty politics that I do), 2) I can sanctimoniously question my political opponent’s judgment, 3) and major media will readily publish the story, not considering the possibility I might be behind the whole charade.
    Sounds like a great plan! What?… Engage my political opponent in a discussion of critical national issues, as he has been doing all along? Why in the world would I want to do that when I have this great plan?!

9. Maus on December 20th, 2009 4:44 pm

“Darryl Schmitz on December 19th, 2009 10:36 am ”

You’re missing that this was posted THREE YEARS AGO, and that Rand’s spokesman has direct access to the account.

Seriously, I wish the US would debate some things that Ron/Rand bring up, but you’re a complete dumbfuck if you believe that this was a conspiracy. Frankly, we’re in the situation we’re in now because the people with ideas can’t keep their dick in their pants or can’t keep themselves from associating with racist douchebags.

10. Skull / Bones » Blog Archive on December 22nd, 2009 1:51 pm

[…] Paul aide quits in Satanic KKK Afro-American Related […]

11. rhys on December 22nd, 2009 3:10 pm

curious… how can you say he had access to the page? What makes you think he did? I read that it was someone who hated his rock band that did it before politics even were involved.

Also… I would argue one point… Rand’s race is not off to a rocky start. PPP poling put him up 44-25 on grayson today (after hightower too). Sounds like grayson is off to a horrible start by your standards. 🙂

12. Jeff on December 24th, 2009 10:56 pm

sOUNDS LIKE A LIKELY DIRTY CAMPAIGN TRICK BY THE gREYSON CAMPAIGN. nOTICE THAT THERE is no evidence that Rand Paul is racist. This could easily be manufactired one way or another by the Greyson campaign. Even if any of this is true about the campaign staffer, Rand Paul showed that he makes good decisions by promptly accepting the resignation of this staffer. Let’s move on to the real issues: rAND pAUL IS THE best candidate by far regarding the issues. Why is Greyson afraid to debate Rand Paul?

13. Marc Mielke on May 20th, 2010 1:22 pm

Really, if it was a dirty campaign trick, why bother with a staffer? Do it to the man himself!

14. Doug on May 20th, 2010 5:02 pm

Doesn’t surprise me, considering how Paul thinks discrimination against someone over something as small as skin color should be an ok thing for businesses. But back on subject, how his staffers could not do a simple google search on this guy is beyond me. Or maybe they did and thought he was their kind of guy.

15. Some Passing Thoughts on the Passing of Rand Paul | The Church of Jesus Christ on May 21st, 2010 6:53 am

[…] don’t think Rand or Ron is racist (well, maybe one of them is) and they are correct about the […]

16. Anytime I Start to Sympathize with Libertarian Viewpoints « Blevkog on May 24th, 2010 11:33 am

[…] property rights should trump human rights. Just like you’re not a racist – you just hire them to work for you. Just like you’re not actually prejudiced against disabled people – you […]

17. When Racists Rally To Non-Racists - 25 Popular Blogs - Popular Bloggers.com on May 25th, 2010 7:14 am

[…] TNC compares the principled libertarianism of Barry Goldwater and the cynicism of George Wallace when it came to race relations: Goldwater's sin was naivety, and a dangerous underestimation of the precise nature and vintage of evil then stalking the South. Wallace understood the evil too well, and thus set about manipulating it. Wallace knew that this was more than abstract theory, that there was real power at stake.  In that sense, Goldwater is the more appropriate hero for today's generation of blissfully ignorant ("How did that 'White slavery' sign get there?") non-racist Republican. It's not so much that they hate you, it's they are shocked–shocked–to discover that some of their fellow travelers hate you. […]

18. Grady on September 20th, 2010 4:53 pm

I am a white northerner, and all I am going to say is, [edited] the south and every racist/satanist/nascar racing-shit/ etc. The south just sucks. period. there is no debate. accept the fact that every white southerner is in someway and some level racist.

19. Note to Republicans on Race: Actions Speak Louder Than Words | BGK Blog on December 31st, 2014 1:23 pm

[…] Campaign aide Christopher Hightower forced to resign after his Martin Luther King day post showing a photo a lynching and saying “Happy Nigger […]