‘Pakistan Officials Not Involved’, Says British Official On Mumbai

January 13, 2009

UK (ChattahBox) – Reports by India that Pakistan had been responsible for the Mumbai attacks has been contradicted by the British foreign minister, who has said these claims are false.

Claims last week by the Indian Prime Minister that the attacks would have had to have been supported by Pakistan’s official agencies caused a stir, and have been rejected by minister David Miliband, who held a news conference this morning on the issue.

“I have said publicly that I do not believe that the attacks were directed by the Pakistani state and I think it’s important to restate that,” he told reporters.

While India has provided evidence, such as data from phones used by the gunmen, and a signed confession, most do not believe there is enough evidence to prove this was an organized attack by the Pakistani government, and are distancing themselves from the accusations made by Monmohan Singh.

The Prime Minister of Pakistan, Yousaf Raza Gilani, however, is adamant over his country’s innocence, and he told the National Assembly as much.

“All that has been received formally from India is some information. I say ‘information’ because these are not evidence. This needs to be carefully examined.

“Serious, sustained and pragmatic cooperation is the way forward,” he stressed.

Pakistan has offered from the beginning to join in the Mumbai investigation, and been denied.


Comments

Got something to say? **Please Note** - Comments may be edited for clarity or obscenity, and all comments are published at the discretion of ChattahBox.com - Comments are the opinions of the individuals leaving them, and not of ChattahBox.com or its partners. - Please do not spam or submit comments that use copyright materials, hearsay or are based on reports where the supposed fact or quote is not a matter of public knowledge are also not permitted.