North Korea Says It’s Ready For Talks (Again)

October 6, 2009

(ChattahBox) — Perhaps encouraged by Iran’s recent success, and looking to get back in the spotlight, North Korea has said it’s ready to resume the six-party negotiations on its nuclear program. The rogue state abandoned the talks in April, after being heavily criticized by the United Nations for testing a long-range missile. During a highly publicized meeting with Chinese prime minister, Wen Jiabao, North Korean leader Kim Jong-il, “expressed our readiness to hold multilateral talks, depending on the outcome of talks with the US,” said the official Korean Central News Agency. Kim’s insistence on bilateral talks with Washington reiterates the North’s longstanding strategy of handling its nuclear dispute largely as a matter between itself and the United States.The six-party talks, which first began in 2003, include China, the US, Russia, Japan and South Korea. While the news is encouraging, after previously reached deals in 2005 and 2007 under which North Korea agreed to shut down its plants at Yongbyon only to now be reopening it once again, it would not surprise anyone if they reverse course again in the future.

Source


Comments

One Response to “North Korea Says It’s Ready For Talks (Again)”

  1. akorozco on October 9th, 2009 10:02 am

    They may look like they’re willing to play nice, but who knows what their motivations are… http://www.newsy.com/videos/north_korea_may_be_willing_to_talk

Got something to say? **Please Note** - Comments may be edited for clarity or obscenity, and all comments are published at the discretion of ChattahBox.com - Comments are the opinions of the individuals leaving them, and not of ChattahBox.com or its partners. - Please do not spam or submit comments that use copyright materials, hearsay or are based on reports where the supposed fact or quote is not a matter of public knowledge are also not permitted.