Internal military report claims South Korea ship torpedoed by North
April 22, 2010
(ChattahBox) – Just a few days after South Korean President Lee Myung-bak had vowed to respond “resolutely” to the sinking of a warship last month, it appears there is evidence tying North Korea directly to those deaths. An explosion split the 1,200-ton Cheonan war ship in two on March 26 while the ship was on a routine patrolling mission in the western waters near the tense maritime border with North Korea. Pyongyang has denied any role in the sinking of the vessel, which left 46 sailors dead. Fifty-eight sailors were rescued.
But now South Korea’s military intelligence has announced in a report that a North Korean submarine launched a torpedo attack on the South Korean warship.
“It’s our military intelligence’s assessment that North Korean submarines attacked the ship with a heavy torpedo,” an unnamed military source told Yonhap news agency on Thursday.
The report, which was sent to the office of President Lee Myung-Bak and the defense ministry office immediately after the incident, suggested that North Korean submarines attacked the ship with what’s called a heavy torpedo. Related to this news, Chosun Ilbo newspaper reported the Korea Defense Intelligence Command alerted the navy weeks ahead of the ship sinking that North Korea was preparing underwater suicide teams in mini-submarines to attack the South. The attack preparations were aimed at retaliating against the South over its defeat in a naval skirmish in November, the paper said. South Korea plans to soon raise the front half of the 1,200-tonne Cheonan, and will issue its verdict on the cause of the explosion that sank the warship after that.