Russian Mine Blast Kills 52 Workers, 38 Missing
May 11, 2010
So far, 52 people have been reported dead, and 80 people have survived and are in hospitals in the Kemerovo region.
But those men still missing from the Mezhdurechensk mine blast have little time left, and officials have said they are hoping that the 24 hour rescue operation being held will yield results. But hope is waning.
“Hope is always the last one to die, but there is indeed little hope left,” Sergei Cheremnov, the spokesman to the Kemerovo governor said in a statement.
The blast occurred following a gas leak, while 359 workers were inside the coal mines. Many were evacuated, but those closest to the blast were killed, injured, or buried in the rubble resulting.
Rescuers have searched for three days for remaining survivors.