Afghan Taliban Launches Pre-Dawn Attack on U.S. Airfield
May 19, 2010
(ChattahBox)—In an early hours offensive, Afghan Taliban fighters staged an attack against U.S. forces at Bagram airfield, wounding seven American soldiers. This is the second Taliban attack just this week in Afghanistan. On Tuesday, a suicide bomber targeted a NATO convoy, killing five U.S. soldiers and one Canadian.
The pre-dawn attack on the U.S. controlled airfield, included rockets and grenades, with reported insurgent casualties of 10 fighters:
“At least 10 insurgents had been killed so far in the “ongoing attack”, which started at about 3am with rockets, small arms and grenades fired into the base, said a spokeswoman for the US forces at Bagram, Major Virginia McCabe. Seven US service members had been wounded, she said.The attack came a day after a suicide bomber struck a US convoy in Kabul, killing 18 people. ”
According to a McClatchy report, the suicide bombing, was one of the deadliest assaults on American forces in months. “It was the worst U.S. military loss since last October, when a roadside bomb killed seven soldiers in southern Afghanistan, carrying the American death toll in the war to 1,000, according to iCasualties.org, which tracks casualties in Afghanistan and Iraq.”
The Taliban claimed responsibility for both attacks, boasting of multiple suicide bombers.
The Taliban insurgents have threatened to disrupt the peace process in Afghanistan. The militant group announced a spring offensive, named Operation al-Fatah, or Victory, to launch attacks on NATO forces, foreign diplomats and Afghan government officials.
Source: The Guardian
Photo Credit: Dion Nissenbaum/MCT