Amazon, Microsoft, Yahoo Join “I Hate Google” Book Search Club

August 21, 2009

(ChattahBox) — Not so long ago it seemed like everyone was eager to gang up on Microsoft to take them down a peg. But now the torch has been passed and Google is king of the hill. Google Books, the search engine giants new online book initiative, has galvanized authors, libraries and now corporate giants such as Amazon, Microsoft and Yahoo, who have united saying the project is anti-competitive. They have formed a coalition known as the Open Book Alliance, which will also be joined by the Special Libraries Association, the New York Library Association and the American Society of Journalists and Authors, with numerous other academic, library and writers’ organizations reportedly plan to follow suit, The Wall Street Journal reported.
The coalition wants to challenge a settlement that was reached last October, between the authors and publishers who brought a lawsuit against Google for scanning books for its search index without permission. In the settlement Google has agreed to pay $125 million to create a Book Rights Registry, a system, which will allow authors and publishers to register works and receive compensation from institutional subscriptions or book sales. Authors and publishers would get 70 per cent from the sale of these books with Google keeping the remaining 30 per cent. Critics say that the deal gives Google the unrestrained ability to set prices for libraries, once they scan books and put them on the Internet, including orphan works i.e. books and other materials that are still covered by US copyright law, but on which ownership rights are not clear. A hearing on approval of the settlement is set for October 7 in U.S. District Court in New York. The deal is also under review or investigation by the U.S. Justice Department, the European Commission and a group of U.S. state attorneys general.


Comments

3 Responses to “Amazon, Microsoft, Yahoo Join “I Hate Google” Book Search Club”

  1. Google rules on August 22nd, 2009 9:03 pm

    the book market faces tougher times, way more than that. micropublishing is the key for the future of the publishing business

  2. Old Man Dotes on August 24th, 2009 11:43 am

    1. Hire a proofreader. The word is “galvanized.”
    2. Learn about paragraphs.

  3. Google CAPTCHAs (Acquires) reCAPTCHA For Book Scanning Project | ChattahBox News Blog on September 16th, 2009 4:15 pm

    […] galvanized authors, libraries and corporate giants such as Amazon, Microsoft and Yahoo, who have formed a coalition known as the Open Book Alliance, saying the project is […]

Got something to say? **Please Note** - Comments may be edited for clarity or obscenity, and all comments are published at the discretion of ChattahBox.com - Comments are the opinions of the individuals leaving them, and not of ChattahBox.com or its partners. - Please do not spam or submit comments that use copyright materials, hearsay or are based on reports where the supposed fact or quote is not a matter of public knowledge are also not permitted.