U.S. Forecasters Predict Above-Normal Hurricane Season

May 22, 2008

U.S. government forecasters have predicted an active and above-normal hurricane season. with between 12 and 16 named storms forming in the Atlantic..Boston (ChattahBox) – U.S. government forecasters have predicted an active and above-normal hurricane season. with between 12 and 16 named storms forming in the Atlantic.

The 12 to 16 storms will be either tropical storms of hurricanes. The expectation is that 6 to 9 of these names storms will become strong enough that they can be considered hurricanes.

Breaking down the numbers, the forecasters from the NOAA stated that there is a 65% chance that there will be an above-normal season for hurricanes. There is also a 25% chance there will be a normal season, and a 10% chance for a below-normal season.

A hurricane season considered normal has 11 named storms which are either tropical storms or hurricanes.

The prediction of an active and above-normal hurricane season is due to the trends over the years in the Atlantic, as well as La Nina.


Comments

Got something to say? **Please Note** - Comments may be edited for clarity or obscenity, and all comments are published at the discretion of ChattahBox.com - Comments are the opinions of the individuals leaving them, and not of ChattahBox.com or its partners. - Please do not spam or submit comments that use copyright materials, hearsay or are based on reports where the supposed fact or quote is not a matter of public knowledge are also not permitted.