Report: 9/11 suspects to be tried in New York

November 13, 2009

(ChattahBox) — Self-proclaimed 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four other Guantanamo Bay detainees will be sent to New York to face trial in a civilian federal court, an Obama administration official said Friday.  US investigators say Mohammed has previously admitted being responsible “from A to Z” for the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.
The other four men, thought to be the two Yemenis, a Saudi and a Pakistani-born Kuwaiti who have shared hearings with him at Guantanamo Bay, are also accused of helping plan and finance the attacks. The decision is part of the White House’s push to close the controversial U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, where the men had been held, by January 22, a target U.S. officials have publicly admitted may be hard to achieve and appears to have lead to the expected resignation of chief council Greg Craig.

A federal law enforcement official said Attorney General Eric Holder plans to announce the decision later in the morning. The government had faced a 16 November deadline to decide how to proceed in their cases. The five men have until now been facing prosecution at US military commissions in Guantanamo, but will now be conducted at a federal court in New York City.

Source


Comments

Got something to say? **Please Note** - Comments may be edited for clarity or obscenity, and all comments are published at the discretion of ChattahBox.com - Comments are the opinions of the individuals leaving them, and not of ChattahBox.com or its partners. - Please do not spam or submit comments that use copyright materials, hearsay or are based on reports where the supposed fact or quote is not a matter of public knowledge are also not permitted.