Christian Group Claims Gap’s Holiday ad Promotes Witchcraft

November 20, 2009

(ChattahBox)— Who knew that Gap stores are not only anti-Christmas, but also are a promoter of evil witchcraft? Every year, as we turn our thoughts towards holiday preparations, we can without fail, count on yet another annual American Family Association’s (AFA) war on Christmas campaign.

This year the AFA, as in years past, called for a Christmas boycott of all Gap, Old Navy, and Banana Republic stores, because the company’s ads have not used the word Christmas. But Gap did in fact, use the word Christmas in its holiday ad this year, but also mentioned, Hanukkah, Kwanza and Solstice. Oops! Now the AFA is accusing Gap stores, of being overrun with witches.

The AFA keeps a list on its website of companies that don’t use the word Christmas in holiday ad campaigns, which the conservative Christian group considers as censoring “Christmas.” When Gap’s new holiday ad came out this past week, the AFA immediately sent out an “action alert” condemning it as being condescending towards Christian Christmas traditions:

“Gap has responded to AFA’s call for a Christmas boycott of their Gap, Old Navy, and Banana Republic stores with a commercial that takes a cavalier approach towards Christmas.”

“The video entitled Ready for Holiday Cheer features a group of people dancing and chanting:

Two, Four, Six, Eight, now’s the time to liberate
Go Christmas, Go Hanukkah, Go Kwanza, Go Solstice.
Go classic tree, go plastic tree, go plant a tree, go add a tree,
You 86 the rules, you do what feels just right.
Happy do whatever you wanukkah, and to all a cheery night.
Go Christmas, Go Hanukkah, go whatever holiday you wanukkah.

Did you notice it? Gap compares Christmas to the pagan holiday called “Solstice.” Solstice is celebrated by Wiccans who practice witchcraft! Gap also encourages you to “86” or “dismiss” traditions and “do what feels just right.”‘

The AFA then encourages its members to take a poll with the questions:

“Since Gap has now included the word “Christmas” in a television ad (in a dismissive manner), should AFA call off the boycott of their stores?
Yes. Any reference to Christmas is good enough to me.
No. Gap has taken a disrespectful attitude towards Christians with its ad.”

Watch the Gap witchcraft ad:

Source

Comments

16 Responses to “Christian Group Claims Gap’s Holiday ad Promotes Witchcraft”

1. Sam on November 20th, 2009 8:40 pm

For F***s sake.. get a life

2. Joanne on November 21st, 2009 6:03 pm

You have got to be kidding me. This is offensive? People are way way way WAY too sensitive. They’re covering all basis! I do find it curious, though, that they neglect to mention Festivus. What…does the Gap have something against the Airing of Grievences or the aluminum pole? BOYCOTT!!! Seriously, Christians, get over it already…or I’ll put a hex on you. <|:o)

3. Bart on November 21st, 2009 6:10 pm

Well, that did it for me.

I had always assumed the religious right christians were fricken nut job extremist crazies, but this confirmed it.

Thank you AFA for confirming what I’ve always suspected, and doing it repleat with belief in witches, and witchcraft. I couldn’t have imagined a more inane response if we were in the 6th century.

4. Lisa on November 21st, 2009 6:34 pm

Dude!! are you freaking kiddin me! ..some christians just perpetuate those stereotypes! get over it.they mentioned Christmas! be happy and go plant a tree! call off the damn boycott

5. Bunc on November 21st, 2009 9:32 pm

That’s insane calling a boycott over stuff like that. We have right wing chistians in the UK but at least they are usually a bit lower profile and less in your face that the US variety.

6. Christie on November 21st, 2009 11:34 pm

Christian extremists, you seriously need to get the hell over yourselves. The world doesn’t bloody well revolve around you!

7. Stacey on November 21st, 2009 11:50 pm

I completely agree with Bart’s sentiments and how well he put it. Thank you, Bart.

My only comment to these AFA people is why don’t they take a moment to read the book they so publicly flaunt. Not their multi-denominational selective writings and alterations but the source of which they all came. Start paying attention to what lies in their own backyard and stop policing those who do not. If pagans and wiccans were as bad as we are painted to be then how is it when the news announces another lunatic riding the fringe by killing his family or molesting the neighborhood children – the most common quote from the neighbors is, “I had no idea. They were always nice, went to church and though good Christians.” ?

Get over it, do not shop at these places and do us all a favor and keep to your close minded selves. There are more people willing to use their mind with their heart than hide behind a religion they don’t adhere to unless they are using it to condemn.

8. Amy on November 22nd, 2009 12:42 am

They should really research their history before blabbering all this garbage. If they are anti-witchcraft, they shouldn’t be celebrating Christmas at all. Even the early settlers to the United State did NOT celebrate it because of the fact that it is a Pagan holiday.

Um…. Christmas IS the solstice celebration. Jesus wasn’t born in December. The early Christians picked December 25 to celebrate his birthday so they could come out and party with the Pagans. It’s a popular day for the birth of a variety of Sun Gods.

I think I’ll START

9. Amy on November 22nd, 2009 12:43 am

Sorry – that should say “I think I’ll START shopping at the Gap.” That is what happens when you accidentally hit ENTER. Lol

10. Lily on November 23rd, 2009 6:31 am

Although I see this ad as promoting Freedom, Peace and Unity…leave it to the extremists to see it in a perverted light. Hey, I know how to settle this one…tie a heavy boulder on a GAP workers leg, drop them into a lake, and if they drown…they are truly a witch! Get enlightened AFA, and spend your time and resources doing something that will honestly make the world a better place for ALL living creatures/beings. Btw- I’m with ya Joanne, lol! My powers are in on that hex too, hehehe! <I:^)

11. kally on November 23rd, 2009 9:17 am

Well, for one thing….witchcraft isn’t evil.
    This whole article sucks.

12. Gwen on November 23rd, 2009 11:26 pm

oh my goddess, lmao seriously thats just stupid. oh we can only celebrate christmas, sorry i dont and im happy that they embrase other religions and not jsut the stagnet and over jelous christmas bleh

13. Marcia on November 24th, 2009 3:07 pm

I actually like that commercial BECAUSE they mention other religions besides christianity! I heard a speech given about christianity, how over in Asia people are persecuted for believing the christian way. This speaker asked ” Can you image being persecuted for wanting to worship ‘God’?” I spoke up, as I do so often, and asked, ‘So they are persecuting the christians as the christians once persecuted Pagans?’
    The speaker did not have a response…

14. COURTNEY on November 25th, 2009 9:40 am

I LAUGHED MY BUTT OFF WHEN I FIRST SAW THIS ADD. I AM A WICCAN…I AM NOT EVIL…AND HEY GUESS WHAT…I DO THE WHOLE CHRISTMAS THING EVERY YEAR WITH MY FAMILY AND YET STILL MAKE TIME FOR MY CELEBRATION. THANK YOU GAP FOR BEING OPEN MINDED AND CONSIDERING OTHER BELIFES. NOW IF PEOPLE COULD JUST STOP BEING SUCH BABIES ABOUT THESE THINGS MAYBE WE CAN ALL GET BACK TO THE HOLIDAYS….THAT TIME OF YEAR WHEN YOU ARE SUPOSED TO BE THINKING ABOUT YOUR FELLOW MAN.

15. grace on November 26th, 2009 2:54 pm

A lot of people have commented on various blogs in regard to this that they will MAKE IT A POINT to shop at the Gap due to the AFA’s attack against them. First they were attacking the Gap for “refusing” to say Christmas, then when someone pointed out they DO say Christmas, they back peddled and then said to boycott them because the also used the word “Solstice”. I never would have KNOWN that the Gap is mentioning Solstice, and neither would a lot of Pagans. Many Pagans are delighted to get this teensy bit of recognition for their holiday, and will be MAKING IT A POINT to shop at the Gap.

I’ve been meaning to buy myself a winter sweater, and I too will be making it a point to check Old Navy and the Gap first to see if they have something I like. I am doing this because of the AFA attack against them.

So keep it up AFA. The Gap couldn’t BUY the kind of publicity that you are giving them FOR FREE !

16. ryan on December 17th, 2009 3:41 am

It is obvious that it is witchcraft subliminal messeges, that is trying to brain wash people that Christmas time is not about Christmas at all. This is another example of how Christmas is being hijacked. In my city they just changed the “Christmas Parade” to “Twilight Parade”. THis whole anti-Christmas thing is gone too far for too long. Merry Christmas Walmart Shoppers