All 60 Dems Voting Yes: Senate Passes Health Care Motion

November 21, 2009

(ChattahBox)—- After hours of floor speeches in a rare weekend session, the Senate Democrats, with all 60 voting yes, moved forward the health care reform bill. In a procedural motion of cloture, House Majority Leader Sen. Harry Reid’s (D- NV) health reform bill will now move to the floor for the debate and amendment process.

There was little suspense, as a voice vote was taken on the Senate floor shortly before 8:00 PM this evening. The last Democratic holdouts, Senators Ben Nelson, Mary Landrieu and Blanche Lincoln, announced earlier that they would vote yes to allow the health care bill to proceed to debate. Still, it’s a major step in the process and moves the prospect of affordable and quality health care for all Americans that much closer.

The final voting tally was 60-39, with all Republican Senators voting no. The Senate bill to reform our broken health care system barely squeaked through cloture, requiring the yes vote of every Democratic lawmaker.

The debate process is scheduled to start when Senate lawmakers return from their Thanksgiving recess. And the debate on the public option will begin anew. The centrist Democratic Senators, including Blanch Lincoln of Arkansas remain strongly opposed to a public option.

Comments

11 Responses to “All 60 Dems Voting Yes: Senate Passes Health Care Motion”

1. Wellescent Health Blog on November 21st, 2009 10:23 pm

That the voting was on party lines is not surprising. In my mind, the good thing about getting to the point of debate is that ideas from both sides can be raised. Hopefully, the Republicans rise up to the challenge and contribute to the debate instead of skulking. They have legitimate commentary to bring forward if they choose to.

2. Tony Kopy on November 21st, 2009 10:44 pm

Who’s the real terrorist here ? Osama, or Oboma, One is out to destroy this country from the outside, While the other one is destroying this country from the inside. This is not the kind of change,people had in mind.

3. Don Murphy on November 22nd, 2009 12:41 pm

I only saw a few minutes of Sen Landrieu’s speech and I almost vomited After taking 100,000.00 She said she is going to have a razor sharp eye on the cost of the bill.What a phony!!!!

4. Don Murphy on November 22nd, 2009 12:44 pm

I didn’t put enough O’s It was one hundred million dollars Sorry

5. Heather Sly on November 22nd, 2009 3:11 pm

I am so sick of people being so closed minded! I lived in England while getting my MA. I didn’t pay a penny of tax the entire time I was there and yet I was still entitled to NHS treatment. The fact that I am now back in the US living in a state with extremely HIGH costs to purchase healthcare I live in fear of leaving my house because I simply do not have the $800 a month to spend on insurance. To add to that that fact that I need to $800 a month PLUS co-pay or deductables in addition to that infuriates me. This is not affordable. Every can charge what they want, there are no regulations which is why they can get away with charging $800 a month to me, a 25 year old who is perfectly healthy, doesn’t smoke and drinks (on average) 0-1 drinks a week. People have NO problem turning 65 and collecting SSN and whatever else they can get… people have no problems sending their children to Public Schools or, god forbid, welcome a firetruck when their house is on fire and NEVER once scream out socialism. Open your eyes people, regulating health care isn’t going to kill anyone its NOT regulating it that just might.

6. Jeremy Richards on November 23rd, 2009 11:27 am

Heather Sly, I read your comment. You begin by stating that you are so sick of closed minded people. Ok. Me too. I can only imagine the “ideas” that you think people should open their minds to embrace but let me try; Single Payer is great. Does that sum it up?
    Here is the problem. You went overseas to get a MA; that ain’t cheap sista. But that was a decision you made to place yourself in that precarious of a financial situation (debt) and you DO NOT have a high paying job that MA recipients are guaranteed? You brag to us that while NOT PAYING A PENNY in tax you were still able to access health services. You say that as if that is not a problem, maybe you are confused. See, up until recently you did not work for a paycheck; you were a money borrowing student. Now that you recieve a check and get taxes removed you complain about retirees’ SSI and “whatever else they can get” (which just happen to be all those socialist entitlement programs I and you fund with our PAYCHECKS aka WORK, glad you agree with me that entitlements should be limited). Well, the SSI they are collecting is THEIRS, they worked for it and they collect it when they retire. Yours and mine will NOT be available for us because Democrats voted YEARS ago to raid the “trust fund” of SSI. Your NHS Healthcare in the Nanny State placed a far greater burded to the tax payers (whether you used it or not, if you don’t understand just don’t worry) in that society than seniors collecting money they already paid into the system. You paid in nothing as in “not a penny”. Do you think their doctors work for free?? Research? Free? NO. Working people pay them and pay for you having not paid a penny to still recieve services you truly do not deserve save for charity. People send their children to “public schools” because most of them are tax paying parents (not all, but most) so their TAXES from their PAYCHECKS FUND THOSE SCHOOLS…AND FIRE TRUCKS!!!
    So, now that your paycheck dollars are siphoned away for things that do not directly benefit you, like public schools (you have no children) and fire trucks putting other’s house fires out do you not wish you could have kept some of those dollars since your home didn’t burn? All of them? But you probably do not since you are OPEN MINDED. You would be happy paying $500 a month in taxes so EVERYONE can have health care access (in addition to Medicare/aid) to what YOU paid for, by working. Hope you LOVE your job!!! And yes, I do enjoy my job.

7. Heather Sly on November 23rd, 2009 12:21 pm

I should say I worked from when I was 12 till the day I left for the UK (23) and every time I visted home for vacations, so i have payed taxes, still pay taxes, I have had SSN taken out of my pay check, and i have a 401K that I lost a 1/3 of when the stock markets went down. So please tell me how i don’t deserve health care?

8. Heather Sly on November 23rd, 2009 12:29 pm

And I have no problems with tax money going towards fire houses and men, I embrace it and I was happily public schooled… I am happy to pay taxes for those things, I would also be happy to pay a higher tax as they do in France, UK, Canada and Sweden if that meant health care for all. Medicine that costs $45 dollars on a co-pay here you can get for $15 in other countries. Private healthcare is available to people in the UK, but that is an option they choose to purchase, but if they don’t want to they still have another option.

9. Jeremy Richards on November 23rd, 2009 12:35 pm

Your work here does not justify your receiving of NHA services overseas. Period. Medicine is cheaper in other countries, India is a great exportere of cheap meds. They copy medicines developed in the USA with USA tax dollars and change the manufacturing process slightly to skirt patents…..”changing the manufacturing process…” is code for low quality meds. Ever seen an AIDS or Cancer treatment center in those countries with cheap meds? What about a burn unit? What do you think, Ma’am, they do with the severely handicapped? Not Britain, try India, try Burma, such a loving Muslim nation, see how they treat the lowest among them. And that is a model for our society? Based on availability of low quality low cost meds. Here is a tip that will help you understand life better…what you work harder and smarter for….what you can then aquire with greater means….IS WORTH MORE…in quality and quantity. Reducing a competative free market model to a third world dependant on the government model WILL necessarily reduce quality. Want another tip? Infant mortality rates in EU are sooo much lower because they only count live births. We count stillborns as well. (the devil is always in the details)

10. Jeremy Richards on November 23rd, 2009 12:37 pm

And just who employed you at 12????

11. Jeremy Richards on November 23rd, 2009 3:01 pm

And one more thing, Ma’am, you speak so highly of a “regulated” health care market…do you know that REGULATION is “government speak” for TAX. Do you remember, from lesson one, where taxes come from? PAYCHECKS earned by WORKING PEOPLE. This bill WILL NOT be financed by the “rich” as they are claiming in addition to $500 Million in fraud and waste savings in Medicare/aid it will be financed by YOU AND ME regular wage earners. OK…clean up the $500 MILLION NOW, you do not need a bill for that.