Bin Laden son believed killed in US drone strike

July 23, 2009

(ChattahBox) — Saad bin Laden, third-oldest son of  Al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden, is believed to have been killed by Hellfire missiles fired from a US Predator drone “sometime this year,” National Public Radio reported, quoting unnamed officials.  Saad’s father, Osama bin Laden, has been wanted “dead or alive” by the United States since 9/11/2001.
Saad bin Laden, in his late 20s, was not a significant Al-Qaeda player and a US counterterrorism official said he likely was simply “in the wrong place at the wrong time,” having not been important enough to be targeted personally.  According to the report, the younger bin Laden, had been living under house arrest for some time in Iran, but had moved to Pakistan last year. The drone attack, which employed a Hellfire missile, took place some time this year.

A senior US counterterrorism official told NPR that without a body to conduct DNA tests on, “it is hard to be completely” sure.  “But he characterized US spy agencies as being 80 to 85 percent certain that Saad bin Laden is dead,” NPR said.    We have all seen these types of reports before, so without real proof one should remain a little bit skeptical.


Comments

Got something to say? **Please Note** - Comments may be edited for clarity or obscenity, and all comments are published at the discretion of ChattahBox.com - Comments are the opinions of the individuals leaving them, and not of ChattahBox.com or its partners. - Please do not spam or submit comments that use copyright materials, hearsay or are based on reports where the supposed fact or quote is not a matter of public knowledge are also not permitted.